Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the whole article, but it is mostly in Rant Format:

Beaver Built: S&W Cage install in an "EG" hatch. This was NOT fun.

Short version:

This is the second S&W kit I've put in a car. This one was worse than the one I put in in Steve's CRX. The legs were bent in WAY too far:

That pic might make it look exaggerated, but, no, they really are pointing in that far.

I ended up having to do some ghetto crap to get the legs to spread enough (Yeah, that sounds really wrong, but, well, it IS) to get them to fit onto the base plates:

I was scared for my nethers. That was a 5 ton jack and I maxed it out twice. That's a lot of force in those legs and the whole thing popped loose twice during this "procedure."

The rest of the kit wasn't any better. The only copes that fit in what I consider a decent manner were for the rear bars. The center bars and door bars were atrocious.

I suppose I should qualify by what I mean by atrocious. ALL cage and bar kits will need to have the tubes fitted to the car. All cars are going to be slightly different. That is to be expected and could be not a big deal. However . . . The copes on these kits are way too big and are angled very wrong. Small copes are better for fitting. You can grind out the tubes to fit perfectly. However, if the copes are too large from the beginning, you obviously don't have material to remove to fit and you are left with large gaps that have to be filled, or you scrap the tube. Since I couldn't scrap the tube, I filled in a LOT of gaps. I used almost 6lbs of .030" wire and over 60CF of C25. This is not an amateur friendly kit, as if you don't have experience filling in gaps in awkward positions (yeah, that also sounds terrible, but it is still the truth), you shouldn't take this on.

Again, I don't recommend these kits. The company also has lackluster customer support. For Steve's CRX cage, the two center bars are obviously cut for a straight harness bar, not the bent bar supplied in the kit. When called to ask about that, we were brushed off like we were some kind of idiots for asking about something glaringly incorrect. *shakes head*

Do yourself a favor and don't bother with this stuff.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
I have used the S&W 6-point kit on my CRX, the main hoop was straight compared to what you have. I had no complaints, maybe the 8-point cage has those problems. I've also seen some other people buy from them and they fit like a glove and were notched perfectly for easy installation. It seems almost like they sent you the wrong kit if the filament is that far off.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Had great luck with my Art Morrison. Pretty decent.

ALso beave that looks sketchy as fuck what you did there to bend the pipe. Next time wedge it between two trees. It bends by hand/body force. Lol.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,880 Posts
Dans i though i was the only one who uses trees to bend stuff haha. A cluster of maples goes a long way hahaha. It fit my '05 cr pipe on my '84 quite well.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
As far as bending big shit, trailer hitches and ropes work too. Chains and bolts too.

Art Morison,

That is who Ricky @ SF recommended as well.

Very specifically the 4130 cage. Bigger than the chassis and cut to fit to make sure it's tight. I hear?

Said around ~900$ range, and 2-3k to install.. Which is out of my range for now, install wise.

DIY install?

How'd you do it for ~ cost installed?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FarmerD;4307737}ALso beave that looks sketchy as fuck what you did there to bend the pipe. Next time wedge it between two trees. It bends by hand/body force. Lol.[/QUOTE said:
It was sketchy. It was easily the most sketchy thing I've done in months!

Trees in northern New Jersey suburbia? GTFO. That would have been a better option, for sure.

That just sounds like my dumb ass!

Any pre-made options?
I was recommended to try this site for cage stuff in the future: 6 Point Roll Cages

The prices look more in line with taking some time to get things right.

Art Morrison stuff was also highly recommended.

·
Registered
129 Posts
if you ever do something super sketch like the bottlejack trick, wrap the pipe and the jack together with a bunch of duct tape. It prevents an extreme explosion, and PIPES TO THE FACE

you so crazy yo

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always figured you would have a pipe bender beav. Some pipe benders are getting pretty cheap, it would pay for itself in a couple roll cages.
I don't want to do cages. What a crappy way to make extra cash. LOL! If I had enough semi-permanent space to work, I would have a bender.

if you ever do something super sketch like the bottlejack trick, wrap the pipe and the jack together with a bunch of duct tape. It prevents an extreme explosion, and PIPES TO THE FACE

you so crazy yo
I didn't have anything else to tie it all together. It was scary. Seriously.

~500 for a bender looks tempting.

Especially if I try to replace the core support.
Yup. It's worth it, if you have a need for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts