Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my ED hatch and I'm about to buy a '96 EJ (ex , vtec) but I have some questions and doubts about it, hopefully someone can give me some insight.

1)First one is, how do I tell if it was an automatic converted into manual transmission? It has an automatic cluster, but its a manual. The guy gave me some excuse about he selling/trading the manual cluster because he needed some money. I guess this can be answered by the VIN number (forgot to write it down) but all I can Google are for earlier Honda models. What I want to know is what letter in what position dictates if it is an automatic/manual transmission.

2) Does 1996 models have labels in the doors/hood etc? I know '91 models didn't (only had one beneath the hood) and laws here require if it came with labels to have the labels. The car doesn't have labels between the doors and no one I ask here can exactly tell me if they are supposed to have the labels. Again current owner of the car told me only '97 & up civic have said labels.

3) What else should I look up in the car? Any specific problems '96 model are known for? I saw the car today but it was at night, only could run it, runs good/strong, tomorrow I'm seeing it again in daylight to make a fair offer for it.

Any insight on this matters are gonna be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
look at the pedal assembly. it will either look crusty, or all the bolts will be shiny around the edges indicating the assmebly has been off at some point.

um.. look at the reservoir, just shit like that and see if anythings rigged up or if its all perfect and dusty

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2) Does 1996 models have labels in the doors/hood etc? I know '91 models didn't (only had one beneath the hood) and laws here require if it came with labels to have the labels. The car doesn't have labels between the doors and no one I ask here can exactly tell me if they are supposed to have the labels. Again current owner of the car told me only '97 & up civic have said labels.
Just confirmed by different sources that they in fact do not have said labels.

·
Registered
1994 EH9
186 Posts
You can also find your VIN on your dash and stamped on the inside of the ebay:

The VIN will tell you exactly what the car is/was. Take mine as an example (door label):

Japan - Honda Passenger car, built in Japan - Civic 4 Door, 1.6L - 4 Door Sedan, Automatic - EX Civic 4 Door (92-93) - Civic EX 4-door - 1994 - Suzuka, Japan

I just added a post for VIN decoding that covers 1983 to 1998

·
Registered
ej8
160 Posts
check the windows in the car also. i have replaced my window regulator three times in my ej8. but if the car is ex it is auto so you should be fine but they do fall off track from time to time

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
check the windows in the car also. i have replaced my window regulator three times in my ej8. but if the car is ex it is auto so you should be fine but they do fall off track from time to time
yeah the driver side window goes off-track every now as the owner told me, but for the deal I'm getting on the car (by PR standards) I can't complain too much. I'm gonna go see the car in a few hours and if it all goes well today, tomorrow it will be mine :):):)

·
Registered
1994 EH9
186 Posts
Exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks a lot man.

Now tomorrow I just have to make sure that a "1" follows the EJ8 in the VIN for it to be a legit manual trans.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
00 civic.
137 Posts

Silicone spray on the tracks will save you soooooo much aggravation. Lube mine up about every 7-8 months, no more falling off tracks.

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
The VIN stickers should be on the doors on the firewall and on the bottom lower windshield on the hood and a couple more spots.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep us posted
and the pics???????
Bought a '96 DX, extremely good condition and a good deal on it.. but im thinking about trading it for another ED chassis, already miss it...I feel like a grandma' going grocery shopping every time i drive it...maybe I should wait a bit and let it grow on me...or start modding it..but meh..:thinking:

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Looks good so far.. lets get some side shots and interior shots..

Is it auto??

lower it with some good suspension and any trip you take after that won't be like grandma gettin groceries..

Edit: sell me that front lip.. lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its manual, if I decide to keep it I'm gonna do suspension (coilovers) and 15" rims (prob ROTA or in that price range) but that would have to wait a few months since being a student with some other priorities and no current job blows.

But things I definetly want to change are the seats, man they are so uncomfortable compared to the ED Si stock ones lol.

The only things that worry me a bit are some rattles when I take some potholes but even if i put $200-$300 to fix that I'm well below the price range of what these cars go around here.

Interior wise is good, only a rip in the drivers side seat (like almost every honda around here, damn puertoricans don't know how to sit) and it even has an OEM Honda cassette player (?) behind the cupholders below the radio. I'll gladly take more pics with my uber-phone camera and post them later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts