Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just going to do a little explaining before i ask my questions about this setup.

So there will probably be alot of why would you do that, or its going to cost alot of money. well lets take the money factor out of it, my boss really wants to do something "funky" and "cool" he either wanted to do a mid engine light truck, with something like an RB26. if you dont know what an RB26 is, its a nissan skyline gtr engine. anyways he wanted to do some sort of hybrid, or just something that we can really flex our muscle on. So opinions are a must on this one, i really want to hear your opinions. anyways i suggested a rear wheel drive civic, with a different engine. essentially what i am talking about is sacrilege towards basicaly everyone...so if you dont like it, say so and say what you think should be tweaked or changed.

So my first question, do you think that the engine can be turned so that the transmission is pointing towards the rear, setup that i was thinking would be keep the engine and transmission and just do a custom driveshaft to rear gears and such. the other part i was wondering was what kind of rear end would i be looking at...custom most likely. anyways ill have more questions as soon as opinions start popping up, and ill address opinions and questions as well.. thanks for reading.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep...ive actually seen quite a few rwd civics...its not like it hasnt been done before...i am having a hard time digging up build threads. thats why i am looking into peoples opinions. usually peoples opinions are actually the right answer...if you get enough of them

·
Registered
an ej8 coupe
553 Posts
i've always thought it would be cool to use an ek coupe, and make it rwd with the s2000 motor, and turbocharge it! that would be sick!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think we would have to add some weight to the back to get some traction...but that is essentially what the platform would be...still got to get it up on a lift and check it out....what i suggested we do would be put a SBC into it...but that would increase weight in the front quite a bit...

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
ca18det with s13 rear end would be teh sex
Your an ass...haha jp I was going to say the exact same thing lol. Instead of the s13 rear though I would go with the skyline rear end. To the O.P. Just incase you don't know what the ca18det is, its the engine out of the 88-89 s13 and 87-88 s12. Haha

Edit: I like the F22/20c Idea too.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
YouTube - civette

ls1 rwd civic...pretty sick. if i had the $$$ i would do it in a heartbeat. or a 2jzgte rwd civic!

another thing ive always like the idea of is the heart and legs of an evo under a civic...but that wouldnt be as "odd" as some of the other ideas....

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
personally, i would forget anything honda made. or even imported when doing a rwd conversion. i would use a small rwd designed v6. small trans, small block, and yet can have nice displacement for your effort. but thats just me.

eh, f* it. drop a LSx and call it done. :D

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
Im pretty sick of seeing ls engines in everything! civic, rx-7, 350z, miata (still a v8, but not an ls) and there is more I just can't think. I just think keeping the civ a 4 cylinder with boost rwd would be the tits.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Im pretty sick of seeing ls engines in everything! civic, rx-7, 350z, miata (still a v8, but not an ls) and there is more I just can't think. I just think keeping the civ a 4 cylinder with boost rwd would be the tits.
the ls1, sure. i have yet to see that many lsx engines make it into many cars. even the ones that started life out as a ls powered gm product.

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
the ls1, sure. i have yet to see that many lsx engines make it into many cars. even the ones that started life out as a ls powered gm product.
Ok...anything more then 6 I would'nt want to see in a civic, make that a v6 as well. Straight six or less lol. But I hear what your sayin, it would be pretty cool, just not my cup of beer.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
Buick V6 turbo power.........or 2.3L Ford turbo power.......

don't laugh too hard, I'm picking up a 87 2.3L T5 tranny here shortly from a Mustang.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the Lsx series of engines has been done quite a bit...to be honest..almost anything that comes through our shop that is a resto build we put an lsx into them...but most of our builds are 100k and up...so we get pretty free run...unless the customer asks us to keep it stock...which some guys like the oldschool to stay oldschool...our shop doesnt really like that to much...but whatever keeps the customer happy...i was actually thinking of doing an sr20det into it...i dont really thiink a 2jz will fit...could be wrong...but thats also a lil bit of a pricey motor.....didnt want to do any of the chevy/ford power plants because i think that would be pushing it a little to far...and then its not really an import anymore...

anyways...i do want to keep it as honda as possible...see thats the actual challenge..basicly changing the whole drive train up..but keeping it honda...i always thought that the d16 arranged to look like a straight six would look pretty nice..

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
YouTube - civette

ls1 rwd civic...pretty sick. if i had the $$$ i would do it in a heartbeat. or a 2jzgte rwd civic!

another thing ive always like the idea of is the heart and legs of an evo under a civic...but that wouldnt be as "odd" as some of the other ideas....
OMG that black 'Civette' drifting there is AWESOME!!! Hmmmmm the evo idea is good, I own a Mitsubishi Colt DD and they did and evo conversion in that.......

The floor pans of the civic (eg) and the colt are almost identical, should be very doable!

And if thats possible then RWD should be easy!!

What do you and your boss do?? What does your job entail?? You fabricators??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well my boss is considered to be a master fabricator, as well as one of the rare Master Mobile electronics certified professional's...i took an automotive tech and metal fabrication courses...both of which were about 74 weeks long...and then applied to numerous jobs...and i was lucky enough that this guy was willing to take me in as an apprentice. i get payed pretty low wage for my experience level (10 bucks and hour)..average techs make around 15-18 but i have been learning way more than i ever could. the shop that i work in is called Mikes old style..which is short for mikes old style hot rod. he worked down in southern california for about 10 years, and then worked over on the east coast for awhile, then he came back to canada to work here. So ya, its me (apprentice), the boss (Mike), and then a journeyman fabricator ( another mike) who work in this shop. the other fabricator only works nights and weekends because his regular job is for an actual fabrication company...and he makes a killing..somethin like 28 bucks an hour...to kind of explain what i have been doing lately, i just did a 68 mustang with the whole front end redone, and when i mean redone i mean it took me about a month and a half to do it...funny cause the whole point of the "conversion was so that we could put 20"s on without any rubbing and have fully upgraded suspension. if you know anything about fabrication, imagine everything from the firewall forward erased, and then rebuilt completely from scratch with perfect alignment, and when i mean perfect it was perfect....took awhile....so ya thats what i do. i am slowly learning but it is what i love to do.....back to what we are talking about, my boss suggested that we find something fun to do during the winter time, he gave us two options basicly, find two cars that are completely different and turn them into something that they were never supposed to be...ie civic with RWD...or we will go to mexico for a week and then come up to the states and work in a few of the shops that he worked in and get a feel for other shops....all payed for...So im still on the rope..but ya thats basicly my life right now...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry i guess i didnt quite answer your first question, its a hot rod restoration shop...only thing we send out for is upholstery and only upholstery...we do other cars as well but his main clients are rich guys with deep pockets that are interested in the oldschool classics...so thats what we do primarily

1 - 20 of 41 Posts