Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble figuring out a way to repair this rust its driver side only I thought it was just the rocker panels but it appears to be further down the front as seen in the pics.
Any DIY'rs have any experience with this type of repair also
Ik this is the cheap route and I would only do this as a last resort but I was told to foam it and bondo. I did get a quote from a body shop 4500
I'm really looking to take care of this myself no I've never welded either

Attachments

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
365 Posts
In my opinion, it really needs new metal.
It's almost impossible to get rid of all the existing rust, especially in creases and cavities, so foam and bondo will not stop the rust coming back.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Phosphoric? acid will stop the rust and prevent it from spreading IF used properly. Turns white on steel.

I would recommend junkyard hopping for new panels, or buy rust repair panels online.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly, it's only going to get worse, and you aren't going to make the chassis any less valuable if you end up making it worse. You might as well pick up a welder and some rocker panels and cut it up. It'll be a great learning experience and MIG welders aren't terribly expensive. Unless of course you use the car as a daily. In that case you're kind of in a hard spot because cutting out rockers and welding in new sheet metal is tough to do over a weekend so you can drive the car to work on a Monday.

I say cut it up and make it better.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Sand, open up the paint back will you can't see anymore rust under it

Use cheap Cola, with phosphoric acid in it, as mentioned.

Then mix a little bit of HCl, Muriatic acid

Scrub metal clean, rust turns to water-soluble goo.

Neutralize with baking soda/water mix.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
I am looking at using the Eastwood Internal frame rust product as I have some spots of rust, but nothing as serious as that. I would be concerned for the structural integrity of the car to be honest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts