Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a big chunk of rust on the rear passenger quarter panel I was wondering what would be the best way to get rid of it ? I did a bit of research and the two options I came up with are buying and replacing it or getting a body shop to cut and weld. What would be the smarter choice ?

Attachments

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Well, the best choise is getting rid of the rot and welding in new metal. But if you're like me and didn't fully care about minor rust problems, I did some quick trimming to the rusted areas with a Dremel, treated the areas with "rust preventative", and patched in some new fiberglass. It was a drag car after all; just cared about how fast it would go in a striaight line. LOL!

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I did some fiberglass patch panels many years ago. The key is 4-5 different layers of the sheets. With each different layer you can somewhat conform to the shape of the body. And fill in less than 1/8'' of the remainder uneven areas with bondo. This was the easiest way to approach it because we didnt know how to weld. Turned out not TOO shabby.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by cut, paint, and then lay fiberglass? Im sure my way wasnt the correct way to do it so I would love to know how lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts