Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it bad to run a screen around the turbo or can I get away with taking the intake pipe and filter off? I want to make it look cleaner but I don't want to risk sucking in a big ass load of water into my turbo either. Didn't know what you guys thoughts about on this...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
tons of guys run just a screen...

i run a filter mainly because i live in the desert and there is a shitload of sand everywhere. i dont feel like dusting my motor because of being too lazy to rig up a real intake system

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts

i run a filter mainly because i live in the desert and there is a shitload of sand everywhere. i dont feel like dusting my motor because of being too lazy to rig up a real intake system
BUT, you can get a fine mesh and double layer it...... just as a suggestion

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
yeah make turn you put a screen cause i had a friend that took off his filter and didn't put on a screen. even after we told him and he sucked in a vacum line. the turbo was brand new just put on and took it to the track. lucky the turbo has a 1 time return/repair warrenty no question ask. oh and by the way he was a DSM and didn't want to listen to a honda kid. lol.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i've been running just screen for a year and a half daily driven...

·
Registered
183 Posts
A screen is usually fine, but I'm running a filter for the extra peace of mind.

I'd say use a screen and then if you find a good deal on a intake/filter for the turbo pick that up.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
I'd try to rig up some type of intake with an actuall filter. Worth the piece of mind. Here's mine... Got the elbow at ATP turbo.

·
Black Dynamite
1991 HONDA Civic
5,880 Posts

yeah me too it's really windy and there's alot of sand and it gets in everywhere

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
i ran just a screen on my 14b with the new turbonetics may end up running a filter just to be safe?
you can actually get a small increase (not much -5+) by taking the filter off on a dyno pull

·
Registered
91 Civic Si
197 Posts

Tons of guys do stupid things too. Just think about how dirty your basic exposed cone filter gets after about 10,000 miles of driving, now imagine 95% of that dirt that a screen won't stop getting into your intercooler making it less efficient and the rest going into you motor. Just use as big as you can fit of a good quality filter like K&N and you'll be fine.

I run a screen at the race track but for daily driving its not work it not to use a filter.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
I saw a post on H-T where a guy sucked up his screen. Could be because it wasnt a hard screen, so if you dont have a filter just make sure and use a hard screen with a tightass clamp

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Yea that would be it haha. My b. Sucks for him, so maybe he learned somethin today...kinda like I did...need ot read all of the post...its been a long ass day.:oops:

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
I think you kinda backwards with the post you just quoted...hes saying then people have gained hp with filters not screens. Now spooling might be diff. but he was talkin about hp.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I think you kinda backwards with the post you just quoted...hes saying then people have gained hp with filters not screens. Now spooling might be diff. but he was talkin about hp.
I know, I change it up a lot of the time. I like the quicker spool and the turbo sucking noise in the summer LOL...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i would only run a screen if there is NO WAY to run a filter... and if i ran a screen it would be a hard screen with some panty-hose, etc. over it with a tight clamp.... the HMT guys come up w/ some interesting screens...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts