Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My d15b7 has always ran rich since I bought it. I never really cared to much about finding the problem but now I'm on a get everything working 100% kick.

It runs rich quite a bit to the point where my back bumper gets covered in black. What can I do to stop this? Replace the oxygen sensor or the map sensor? Is there any other causes?

My setup is
D15b7
a6 cam/ y7 cam gear
I/H/E
Stock P06 Ecu

Thanks for putting up with all the troubles Iv been having with my car lately, I really do benefit greatly from your guys help.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats what Im leaning towards. Thanks for your help on my not starting problem.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
how do you know its rich besides black on the bumper? do you run a cat? my car does that and it has an A/F of 14.5

sounds like you need to set it up on a dyno or wideband to tell the real story

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's just a guess. The exhaust smells like fuel and burns your eyes. Im running a cat also.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the 02 sensor make it run that rich though? I bet if I put a torch up to it the exhaust would shoot flames. :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
i would say the o2 could be running that rich. also prob smells and looks bad because you've been running it like this for awhile it seems. i'd replace o2 sensor first and go from there. if it's still running rich(hopefully not as bad when you get a new o2) then you can go from there.

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
Good top end? performs poorly at lower rpms?
I would then have to say, incorrect timing.

If not maybe a malfunction to teh fpr/return fuel line/ecu?

No CEL's?

·
Registered
447 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he just hit my problem on the head plz help me i am desperate lol
what do i do to fix the problem above

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Check your primary o2 sensor.... then check your cat... then get back to us there are million problems that can be causing that. Have you checked your plugs recently?

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
x2 on the plugs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
he just hit my problem on the head plz help me i am desperate lol
what do i do to fix the problem above
What i described is retarded timing, most likely from the timing being off on the cam gear.
I say the cam gear because its the only thing physically that i can think of that can get so out of whack as far as timing goes.
The cause was prolly an old t-belt that loosened up or an incorrect tensioned t-belt. It most likely jumped a cam tooth(s) back when the engine accelerated, thus retarding the timing. Thats my theory.

To fix the timing, check the timing on the crank and cam gear, correct as necessary. There is many pics and info on how to do it on the web, helms/chilton has the info also.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just put new plugs in yesterday because the old ones fouled out from flooding because the ignitor went out. They are NGK v powers.

I'm not getting any cels at all.

I have good bottom end and top end power from what I can tell. I seriously have barely drove this car in the 2 years I'v had it.

Edit: Also I know the engine timing is right but Im not so sure on the ignition timing. There is no white mark on my crank pulley so a timing light is useless because there's nothing to go off of. I ended up spinning the dizzy until it sounded the best and revved the best like the old v8 guys do lol.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
so, how many gallons do you have in your tank?????

I have a 9 gallon tank and only get about 75 1/4 of a tank. 33-35 miles to the gallon city.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts