Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay now I know this isnt a Signle cam but I am really struggling to get some help with this so please hear me out.

I know Im probably going to get shit for this but there are alot of knowledgeable people on here and I am just seeking some help here.

So I just put on a new 50 trim Garrett turbo onto my JDM GSR (B18C) and now my boost gauge only shows 3 psi and full throttle and man, does it take a long time to get to that 3psi. I initially had a normal ebay 50trim on it and it worked just fine but I wanted to go more "legit".

- Checked all intercooler pipes and no bursts or broken welds or cut couplers.
- Thought it might be the bov so we blocked that off and still dont gain PSI.
- Took off the TIAL WG and the spring isnt stuck open.
- Tried to pressurize the intake side and didnt hear any leaks, also inspected all vacuum hoses and dont see any rips or tears.

Honestly I think I am just clueless here, does this sound like my buddy sold me a shit Garreet? But I keep thinking if that was the case I would leak oil or the turbo would smoke alot... PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
211 Posts
i've never ever had a tune screw with boost pressure , ive had vacuum line/source issues which were bleeding off boost pressure before it was hitting the intake manifold .

to the op
we need more info

what happens while trying to get into boost ? any studders,jerking,pops, smoke etc?
does it gradually built 3 psi or jump around/flutter up and down before or after going to 3 psi.

what spring is in the waste gate? vacuum source on the bottom of the gate to the intake manifold (or a vacuum block) , top port open unless using an electronic boost controller.

shit if you have a manual boost controller even check that , im not going to bash brands here but ive a had 2 that leaked like a sob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Im saying most likely exhaust leak. Had the same issue with a buddies sr, had to shim the actuator because i think it was a s14 actuator on a s13 turbo. Once we did that she spooled up like normal and made the boost it shouldve.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off I just really wanna thank everyone for posting so quickly to my situation!

As far as what happens when I try gettinginto boost right off the bat, say in first gear, it feels just fine right up to about 3000rpm where its supposed to start spooling but instead of spooling, at full throttle, it make a stuttering noise like it doesnt want to move anymore but sometimes it will just start slowly spooling to 3psi right around 7000rpm.

Honestly I think the compressor housing might be leaking becuase I only have one u shape plate and three bolts in there, instead of the normal 6.

Also I am tuned on chrome and tuned by LJ from Full Blown, if you guys might know who he is.

Ive started the car and put my hand over my TIAL V band WG, and I dont feeel a thing there, no exhuast or anything so I think its still working just fine. We also shut off the bov and tried doing a pull that way to see if its leaking and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im saying most likely exhaust leak. Had the same issue with a buddies sr, had to shim the actuator because i think it was a s14 actuator on a s13 turbo. Once we did that she spooled up like normal and made the boost it shouldve.
What do you mean by actuator? all I know is that this turbo used to be internally WG but now its set up to have a external WG.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What do you mean by actuator? all I know is that this turbo used to be internally WG but now its set up to have a external WG.
The actuator is the diaphragm and rod that meets with the wastegate arm to open/close it. On an external setup, you dont have this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I just put the other c shape part on the other side of the turbo and put those 3 bolts in so that now the compressor side of the turbo seems to me that its fully sealed. So I took the car for a test drive and I am still having the same problem!

Also when I put my hand over the air inlet of the turbo it takes roughly 20 to 30 sec for the engine to die.

·
Registered
211 Posts
you need to pressurize the system from the turbo inlet to say 20 psi with an air compressor while looking at your boost gauge . if you here a hissing theres you problem find it . hope that makes sense brotha

·
Registered
265 Posts
Toss the ching chang ding dong turbo back on and see if your problem resolves, if so your new used name brand turbo is junk.

Lets see how that works out for you, in the meantime tell me there was never housing to compressor contact.

JGTC-EG

·
Registered
475 Posts
Do you have a cat on the car? I had a similar problem on my old turbo civic, my cat was clogged so I was making only 1psi till redline.

I put a test pipe and it ran fine after that. Check it out if you can, or take it to an exhaust shop.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts