Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could i run the crower 2 and keep my stock valvesprings and retainers? i'm not planning to go over my stock rev limit but keeping my stock ecu for now. i'm going to be racing with this cam. i just want to know what i can and cannot do. thanks

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
might as well do everything if that cam makes power past the rev limit why keep it at the stock limit

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
running that cam with the stock ecu wont be any good. your ecu will want to put the fuel at the wrong time. you need to tune with that cam.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Bigger the lift, stiffer should be the spring to return back valve, and faster reving need to be stiffer.

I'm running 272deg with .340 lift and stock valve train is enough to make power up 6500-6800. But I heard horror stories about spring/retainer too stiff who broke stock valve (too much stress on it), a this point you'd be better to upgrade valves.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Stock Z6 springs are pretty strong. I reved mine out to 8000rpms for a while. Held fine.
stock springs are just fine... i have pegged my tach past 9k with stock z6 block stock z6 head/springs cai header exhaust p28 with a b16 chip 9500rev limit with a gude gorilla race cam at the track plenty of times and it never blew up..

when i finally blew it up it was on a miss shift and it detonated in cyl #1 and put a hole in the piston and screwed some valves... all the other 3 cylinders are just fine.. the walls on cyl 1 are fine also

idk about the whole lift and bigger springs.. my cam had hella duration and not so much lift to where i would have to hold the gas to keep the car running when it was cold and tighten the throttle stop to keep it running when it was warm

also.. this was a tuesday motor if any of you know what that means lmfao.. heres a vid with the stock cam.. shitty vid but works

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d69/siregcivic/?action=view&current=IM000078.flv

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
im runing my exospeed stage 3 with stock valvetrain, havent had any problems for the 6500-7000 miles ive put on it... you wont be able to runt hat cam with stock maps though.. mines slightly more aggressive and it was so rich it SUCKED before being tuned

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Nice to hear, I will run my next 282 and .400 list with 16 y8 intake springs, they are stiffer than y7 ones. For sure, under stock rev @ 7200.

·
Registered
13 Posts
definitely get it tuned. mine ran rich right off the bat... we adjusted for it down near idle, to help smooth out the idle and throttle response. rich equals spit and spudder as well as fouled plugs. Lean equals blow it up. Get a good tuner to watch your air/fuel ratio and have him/her adjust it from there. this is what seperates the pros from the joes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts