Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a t3 divided turbo on a non divided t3 cast mani? Good idea or just i switch mani or swap the exhaust housing off? I know it will help spool, but i really hate to change anything. so any input is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
Some of the divided flanges are done so for strength more then anything else. The exhaust sides are exposed to a lot of expansion and contraction and are known to crack (I have seen very little used exhaust sides not cracked). I don't think it is going to hurt you as much you think it will. Just grind down the sharp edges and polish the runners as much as possible. You will be shocked at the difference it will make.

The AR is different though. If it is a large AR now and slow spooler then removing any material will increase the AR and may actually make it worse.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
I just read that the divided manifolds help reversion in our engines while exhaust gas is coming out of cylinder #1 cylinder #2 has it's exhaust valve open. That's why the paring is 1-4 and 2-3 so the exhaust gas coming out of one cylinder doesn't interfere with the other cylinders allowing the engine to breathe better and utilize the pulses of the engine better I bet they took it a step further with the twin scroll design.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Run a (well designed) quick spool valve, at the very least.
With the price of those things he can buy a brand new non divided turbo. I was lookin at them and thinking about running one with my Holset and just the quick spool valve was $500 plus shipping.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
With the price of those things he can buy a brand new non divided turbo. I was lookin at them and thinking about running one with my Holset and just the quick spool valve was $500 plus shipping.
I bet you could have one made at a machine shop for less...

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a holset h1c its a divided t3 housing i know why and the benifits of the divided mani but iam running a non divided t3 turbo mani? so should i port it to make it a smoth transition or what?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
OP, is the housing a twin-scroll or is it simply divided entry?
Its probably just divided inlet. It doesnt seem like they make twin scroll anymore, which sucks because they actually do something on a 4 cylinder, unlike these split ones people run (and plumb the exhaust improperly to) which do nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts