Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what all I would need to run a 97' civic w/ a d16y7 with an obd1 ecu so I can run crome.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about getting a rywire or phearble conversion harness and chipped ecu.

whats the deal with the iacv swap? I would want to swap to an aftermarket or y8 manifold anyways. I have a spare obd1 iacv from my ej1 that I never used.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I would say a 3wire iacv to 2wire iacv swap with repining and a OBD2A to OBD1 conversion harness. Thats all you should need besides socketing and chiping the OBD1 ecu.
correct

1. obd2x to obd1 jumper
  2. convert to 2 wire iacv from the 3 wire
  3. 2 wire iacv
  4. IM that the iacv can bolt to
  5. converted y7 TB or applicable TB
I have a spare obd1 iacv from my ej1 that I never used.
you can use that iacv. the two wire iacv are the same. you can even use one off a f22b1 :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know. Iam thinking skunk2. I might do a y8. I do like the skunk2 for better distribution of air/fuel into all cylinder.

·
Shoot me!
6,890 Posts
I don't know. Iam thinking skunk2. I might do a y8. I do like the skunk2 for better distribution of air/fuel into all cylinder.
I had a blox on my my engine took it off put a stock y8 manni on for inspection decided i was gonna go with a skunk2 compared them both pretty much the same manni just the skunk 2 is alot smoother inside was well worth the extra $100 it cost me. But if on a budget go with the blox good bang for the buck. Both have 62mm openings. I got the blox for $140 shipped skunk 2 was $220 shipped.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so will the obd1 gsr tb work? I was thinking of getting it ported to 62mm by maxbore.

can you tell me more about the 2 wire iacv swap? all other engine harness stuff ok? sensors etc?

p.s I tried giving u rep; but it says I need to spread it out some more before I can rep you again.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just want to make sure...

I'am going to do the y8 intake swap. I plan on using.

y8 intake (duh)

y8 throttle cable mount bracket (on manifold)
y7 throttle cable (will it work)

y8 throttle body

y8 fuel rail

y8 injectors ( I specified when I ordered the phearable stock tune, although all the info I see has the y7 and y8 injectors being the same size )

·
Registered
230 Posts
y7 cable will work

your plan sounds good! dont mix your tps and map connectors around. I like to mark all the connectors so I don't forget!
also ,
don't forget the 3 wire to 2 wire IACV conversion.

either then that your good to go , you may need to lengthen your coolant
lines for the IACV but thats no issue just go to the parts store and get some vacuum hose.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I did a similar swap and went with a z6 intake on a 98 y7 that I did an A/T to M/T swap on but hadnt changed to a 2 wire IACV or m/t ecu. I alsu used the z6 TB and now when I accelerate (out of gear) it hits around 1500 rpm and begins to surge and once I get the throttle down a little further it jumps to about 3000-3500 and is fine after that. I am thinking about swapping back for my y7 TB by making a block off plate for the IACV opeing and see if thay resolves my problem. How do I take the rotor off to switch it between the TBs?

·
Registered
354 Posts
it is possible to use the y7 tb with a y8 mani. If you have the IACV for the y8 mani just use a rubber vaccum hose to loop it off and it will run just fine or just make a block off plate like perviously stated, i did it with mine and ran it for a few years. the throttle cable will work it will just be a little long so you will have a little extra cable in the engine bay, but it will still work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
don't forget the p06 obd1 ecu :D

or if you're lazy like me, just ignore the whole iacv stuff if you're patient enough. basically, at cold start you won't be able to idle so you'll need to give it a little gas constantly until the car is warm, only a problem in winter though up here in colorado, it idles fine without the iacv in the summer.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ha.

getting the y8+2wire swap done tonight. obd1 jumper and ecu comes in tommorow. I'll be able to run w/ the obd2 ecu repinned for the 2 wire in the mean time, correct?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts