Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 92 civic hatch, stock motor for the most part. heres whats goin' on...in most gears, especially noticable on highway in 4th and 5th, after a certain point the motor starts bogging out. i changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor and still no fix. the best way to describe it is that when your cruising at say 70mph in and around 3,000, if i push the pedal in to accel pressing a lil more past half pedal you here the fuel kick in more but the car starts losing power, then if i let off a touch or a good amount it will kina tug forward or surge as if catching its breath. backfires all over the place. in the rain it will get worse to the point that it will eventually choke out and start jumping all over the place when you try to move it. some say a short in wiring, some say MAP, idk! it's killin me though so any info would greatly be apreciated. can describe more in detail if you ask me to with certain stuff. definatley feels electrical becasue some times its fine (20% of the time) and the rest its f*^ked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You should see some black smoke if you were running super rich. Sounds more like a lack of fuel or spark.

Oh and check your air filter.
no stock air filter, cold air intake or short ram depending on the weather. filter maybe but wouldn't it be throughout the entire pedal, not just after and before half pedal? thats the thing that really erks me is it only happens within a certain play in the pedal. though if you baby the gas, now that i think of it, like feather touch it, it sputters kinda but only for a second. backfire almost every time i either let off or get back on it. still think filter?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not crazy, old clunker type backfiring but usually a good pop on the get back. if it were the coil it would be constant right? not just a certain throttle position?

·
Registered
92 civic hatch si
752 Posts
I know you changed the cap, rotor and plugs but did you check for spark? Sometimes you can see if it's weak. Inspect all your ignition components for damage such as a crack. Did this happen all of a sudden or gradually? How do you know it is burning rich and not lean? Just trying to get a better pic of your situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
when i replaced the rotor and cap everything looked decent but i kinda feel like maybe it isn't. didn't check for spark, not sure about the best procedure on that one. more of a gradual thing. can tell i'm running rich because of excessive fuel consumption and i pulled brand new plugs after two days and they were caked with black buld up.

Granny Wagon
237 Posts
the symptoms i had were the exact same. the problem was that when the fuel filter was clogged the engine couldn't maintain a stable fuel pressure and the AFR was spiking up and down. sometimes fuel would surge through the blockage and hey presto, over fuelling. give it a try, not an expensive fix and it's part of the service schedule anyway. my MPG went from anything up to 30 to over 40 after replacing it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i found the problem, the sensors are fine but the wiring between the ecm and the plug before the MAP is shot. must be a break in the line some where. so i tested the ecm and the continuity in the lines, found a good spot and ran new wire from the MAP to the ecm and wa la! sounded totaly different! idle came down rto normal after a few minutes and ran smooth all day. thanks for all the knowledge and dont be afraid to ask me anything to do with mobile electronic (audio, video, remstart, etc)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts