Honda D Series Forum banner

What would be your set up?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I´ve been trying to decide on what path to take. I got a D15b2 fresh rebuild. still with the DPFI on it.

Mods are:

Crank at 0.25 nitrated and balanced
Rods shot pinned and nitrated
all king .25 bearings
p29 pistons with nippon rings
block decked .5mm
head milled a little over 1mm
Mild P&P head with new guides and seals
Z6 head gasket.

So I cant figure wich path to take from here. I either want to go with ITBs and a bisi cam soon when I convert to mpfi. But I have no previous experience in tuning an ecu. I got a ecu and an intake but I still need conversion harness and dizzy. my engine wire are shit so I need some better ones.

Now I can sell the ecu for about $300 dollars down here and about $100 for the intake many. add a little more money and I can get some used weber 40 dcoe and run it carbed.

The good thing is, my dad is an old wrencher.Been a mechanic for 42 years now. I´ve seen some nice motors he build on carb setups. so he can help me tune it with carbs. Now what are the pro and cons of carbs. Down here aint that cold. it´s mostly 45deg in the winter. so no carb icing. what would YOU do and why. what are the pros and cons. Please give your 2 cent on this. Every one has a different way of thinking and I want to hear something even if it´s a question. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
worse fuel atomizatoin, resulting in less power and fuel economy

you will get several cel's

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
screw itb's unless you have mad tuning skills dont even try (unless your going to carb it then thats a diff story)

i say... well... i saw dons d15 carb'ed wth dual sidedrafts and velocity stacks. sounded pretty damn good and ran like a champ without any ecu shit. Allthough you still have to figure out a way to control ignition timing.

·
Registered
eg9
344 Posts
you can run carbs and still use programmable ignition like megajolt which uses crank trigger set up so you can delete the dizzy or an msd set up instead.

you could run the vacuum dizzy but the timing curve prolly wont match your engine perfectly especially if modded.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
you can run carbs and still use programmable ignition like megajolt which uses crank trigger set up so you can delete the dizzy or an msd set up instead.

you could run the vacuum dizzy but the timing curve prolly wont match your engine perfectly especially if modded.
lol, MVC? (Manual Vaccume Controller?) put a guage on it to stop it from seeing too much vac.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Well set up 40mm Webers can make more power than some injected set ups, but they will never have the combined low AND high speed range of a good injection set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts