Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, well ima mape my own RTP board that i saw a little guide thing on PGMFI... where would i get drivers/software to run it?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
you must connect it with your chip burner, and "burn" new chips

·
Registered
475 Posts
just so you do know if you boiught one of the boards off of pgmfi...they dont tend to work too well if even at all. most havent had good luck with it. if you have an ostrich or romulator. crome and turboedit will both connect to it and allow you to upload maps

·
Registered
286 Posts
use the RTP software that associated to the DIY RTP u made. otherwise it might not work...not all RTP are the same... u can us the RTP board without the chip but u need some kind of power to keep the RTP board from losing its memory. Ostrich has a 75year battery life so u can keep that one in your car at all time..

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
RTP uses the datalogging code... so you'll have to use an editor that supports RTP. I don't know if Crome or Uberdata still do. But you can check... it'll be a setting option somewhere.

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,170 Posts
i have an ostrich... i recommend it.

As for the RTB board, you need a rom burner to initially program the RTP.

After hearing all the cons to the diy RTP, Ostrich is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
crome has an plugin for RTP

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as to the post above theres no software for the DIY RTP that they have available.. and what is said above about crome is true it does have RTP toggle... but my question is if i go serial for the datalogging, where would i get the drivers for that... i know theres driversd for the usb, but i hear for this serial is better way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
as far as the usb drive its only for newer laptop that dont have serial ports. crome pro, uberdata, ECUcontrol or Freelog all use serial connection. i think the driver your are looking for is only require if you are using USB.. i know from the little time i've spent messing with uber the usb driver was only use if your laptop/PC didnt have serial port. Some of the newer laptop dont support serial connection anymore..my PC has 1 serial and thats used up for my mice..

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Serial doesn't use drivers like USB; you just select the com port(the converter I made emulates a serial port; "COM4", the normal serial ports are COM1 or COM2).

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But is'nt using serial better then usb cause maybe the pc would talk too fast for the ecu to process. my laptop has both usb and serial ports. he i do usb do i need a special cable or can i wire up a regular usb cable?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I believe a USB cable is faster; USB datalog cables just convert R232(?) Serial to USB via a converter; but the converters are fast enough(ie the Prolific PL-2303s) that there's no lag.

In your case; I would run serial just because it's easier to connect(with all those Radio Shack/Ebay nokia cables you'd have to figure out your own wiring). What I did to my ECU was simple; simply wired in a serial datalog cable to the CN2 and hooked up a Prolific Serial->USB converter. Works just as good as the Nokia cables but you have the option of switching between USB and serial with ease.

I actually had a Kingsun-based Nokia cable and it wouldn't work at all(avoid this cable as some people using it for their phones have had trouble with this cable too)....

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well yes i also believe usb is faster, but why do some people say the serial way is better for this?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Technically speaking; in "high-speed" applications the conversion will cause lag. The baudrate of the ECU datalog port is slow enough that it's negligible. I say serial is better because it's simpler, but it all comes down to compatibility and convenience: if you have a serial port run serial; if you have a USB port only, then run USB.

D

·
0 Posts
how do you hook up RTP? is it a special chip with a plug-in in it? will rtp let you tune while driving or on the dyno then?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dohdoh420 said:
how do you hook up RTP? is it a special chip with a plug-in in it? will rtp let you tune while driving or on the dyno then?
yes...but if you do the DIY RTP from PGMFI.org there is a chance that it wont work... some people have luck to get them to work, while others dont... basically when you have your ecu socketed for a chip, you connect the board into the socket and a few other mods... if you want 100% working rtp, an ostrich is the way to go... its 175 and all you do is plug the little ribbon cable into the socket on the ecu and then the pc goes into the box...

yes RTP does let you tune while driving, hence the name Real Time Programming."

with the DIY RTP, i think the only program that works with it is crome and turboedit... might be wrong but im not sure...
some resources...

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/RealTimeProgramming

http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewforum.php?f=24&start=0&sid=52db3ca1890b0b53e14746a2f06dd689

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,170 Posts
I heard you still throw CEL's with the DIY RTP while driving... and it mostly only works for uploading with key on engine off.....

I think they said the DIY RTP was a next step to keep from having to remove the chip all the time... now they can just pull over and upload, then drive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure if you're obd0/obd1 but the code in the ng## series (obd0) for the rtp is broken and doesn't work right. No update has been made to fix the issues last time that i checked. Ostrish will probably be the best bet if you're obd0.

Edited: by rtp, i mean diy rtp found on pgmfi.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts