Honda D Series Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
also nice "shed" that your buddy has...
Yeah it's epic. And the epoxy floor is a dream. You drop anything (dirt/oil etc) and it literally wipes straight off. Sounds basic, but farout it's so nice.

I asked to move all his cars out for those photos because i wanted the EF/ED/Concerto in the shot, but there's a GC8 WRX under the mezzanine that i'm standing on, a turbo NB MX5 outside and a DC2R in the other shed.

:wacko:

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So World Time Attack Challenge was on again last week, and my mate with the ONRACK sedan promised to take me for a spin

This thing is legit so ridiculous. Currently making 364kw from a turbo B16. She took me for a couple of highway pulls and even just rolling on the gas, it still lights up the tires and spins well into 4th.

I'm starting to think i went the wrong route with the supercharger, so i've started doing some research on switching to a turbo. The guys at Garret had a stand at the show and were pretty helpful, considering i'm a complete turbo noob. My goal is 200kw at the wheels, and they recommended a GT28/60RS. Keen to hear anyone opinions.

Also met up with my mate Ram, who also owns the blue Concerto sedan which features pretty heavily in this build thread haha. This is his daily, an RTSI Intrac sedan running a turbo DOHC ZC and making 160kw:

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,237 Posts
My goal is 200kw at the wheels, and they recommended a GT28/60RS. Keen to hear anyone opinions.
don't get suckered into an over priced item... get crafty and use an oem turbo , sorry don't mean to bring my garbage talk in here...

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,051 Posts
I'm starting to think i went the wrong route with the supercharger, so i've started doing some research on switching to a turbo. The guys at Garret had a stand at the show and were pretty helpful, considering i'm a complete turbo noob. My goal is 200kw at the wheels, and they recommended a GT28/60RS. Keen to hear anyone opinions.

How the crap did I miss this? You want to switch to turbo?!?! And I think its an extremely wise decision. I love the sound of the supercharger, and have had a JRSC in the stable before, but once I found a turbo that would start building boost at 2500 rpms, I didn't look back. I run the GT2860RS on my built DOHC ZC. It's nearly a perfect match to the head setup and RPM range of the engine in near stock form. Boost doesn't drop off until after 7500-7800 rpms and it starts building super low as compared to other turbos I've run. Maxed out its capable of 275kw, and about 250-260kw at the wheels. Meaning its going to really haul. This is the setup I run, and those are the power values I'm making at 18-20 psi. I usually street run it at 15 psi though (1.1bar)

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
don't get suckered into an over priced item... get crafty and use an oem turbo , sorry don't mean to bring my garbage talk in here...
I love wasting cash.

How the crap did I miss this? You want to switch to turbo?!?! And I think its an extremely wise decision. I love the sound of the supercharger, and have had a JRSC in the stable before, but once I found a turbo that would start building boost at 2500 rpms, I didn't look back. I run the GT2860RS on my built DOHC ZC. It's nearly a perfect match to the head setup and RPM range of the engine in near stock form. Boost doesn't drop off until after 7500-7800 rpms and it starts building super low as compared to other turbos I've run. Maxed out its capable of 275kw, and about 250-260kw at the wheels. Meaning its going to really haul. This is the setup I run, and those are the power values I'm making at 18-20 psi. I usually street run it at 15 psi though (1.1bar)
I do love the sound of the supercharger, but ever since i did all the head work (cams/valves/ porting) the charger lost ~5psi (boosting around 8 now from 13psi) and you can barely hear it anymore. It's making more power than before, but i'm guessing the charger just can't flow enough air for the new head.

Love to hear your input. I've still got my redline set to the factory 7500 cutout even though with the charger it would probably carry power to 8500 or so... I'm just hesitant to rev the DOHC ZC past 8k, I don't think the rocker setup seems very suitable for high rpm (or am i wrong thinking that?).

What turbo manifold are you running for your setup? I've got a B18 header on mine at the moment, i was thinking of doing something similar, or maybe port matching a SOHC manifold.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,051 Posts
I love wasting cash.

I do love the sound of the supercharger, but ever since i did all the head work (cams/valves/ porting) the charger lost ~5psi (boosting around 8 now from 13psi) and you can barely hear it anymore. It's making more power than before, but i'm guessing the charger just can't flow enough air for the new head.

Love to hear your input. I've still got my redline set to the factory 7500 cutout even though with the charger it would probably carry power to 8500 or so... I'm just hesitant to rev the DOHC ZC past 8k, I don't think the rocker setup seems very suitable for high rpm (or am i wrong thinking that?).

What turbo manifold are you running for your setup? I've got a B18 header on mine at the moment, i was thinking of doing something similar, or maybe port matching a SOHC manifold.
I port matched a D series PFAB log manifold to mate up to the GT28RS. Mine will pull up to 8500+ rpms and still makes great power, but for street pulls I have it pulled back to 7600 rpms. The rockers are the hinderance in the head, and you'll be making more power than you've ever made with it, so you likely won't miss that 1000 rpms. And its not that they will fail simply by you taking it up there, its more of the taking it that high all the time. I run Rocket Valve springs in mine. What valve springs are you running?

I also run an air to water intercooler setup on mine that is fairly efficient. More efficient than an Air to Air. I run 15 psi, and keep it at 7600 rpms and its more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Starts building boost pressure at around 2200-2500 rpms with full boost at 32-3500 rpms and that carries to redline. Running it this way should make it last for a long time, but the Wise pistons, Crower rods, and CSS prepped block help matters out in the longevity department as well.

Any questions you have feel free to ask. I have a broad learning curve on the Turbo ZC. Many ups and downs and lessons learned.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I port matched a D series PFAB log manifold to mate up to the GT28RS. Mine will pull up to 8500+ rpms and still makes great power, but for street pulls I have it pulled back to 7600 rpms. The rockers are the hinderance in the head, and you'll be making more power than you've ever made with it, so you likely won't miss that 1000 rpms. And its not that they will fail simply by you taking it up there, its more of the taking it that high all the time. I run Rocket Valve springs in mine. What valve springs are you running?

I also run an air to water intercooler setup on mine that is fairly efficient. More efficient than an Air to Air. I run 15 psi, and keep it at 7600 rpms and its more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Starts building boost pressure at around 2200-2500 rpms with full boost at 32-3500 rpms and that carries to redline. Running it this way should make it last for a long time, but the Wise pistons, Crower rods, and CSS prepped block help matters out in the longevity department as well.

Any questions you have feel free to ask. I have a broad learning curve on the Turbo ZC. Many ups and downs and lessons learned.
That's really cool. I'm running Bisimoto cams and springs, but B18a valves (which are longer than standard ZC valves) to compensate for the smaller base circle so the contact pattern on the rocker pad is close to factory. I was having an issue with the lobe contacting the rocker late and then dropping off the edge which is sorted now.

Bottom end is just balanced crank, D16a1/ZC Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods with a little shaved off the head to bring the compression up a touch (around 9.5:1 from the 9.1:1 that they drop it to). and just studs and a metal gasket.

Happy to hear any suggestions you've got, it's good to hear other people with the DOHC motors, it feels a little lonely now that thezcr has smoke bombed. I'm hoping that i wont need to crack the motor back open to make any changes though. I reckon it should be good for 200kw.... Will have to take a look at W2A coolers, sounds neat.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,051 Posts
The stock block will handle 400whp or 300kw if tuned properly, so you should be good on the sleeves as long as they are good to start with. I know the rest will handle it as long as you have ARP head studs. Head gasket is then the weak link. Which HG are you. running?

I also hate that the ZCR flamed out. Miss it terribly.

I have links for the W2A and some pics. I probably need to get some pics now since I've updated the set up. You should be able to make 300whp or 225kw with ease out of a GT2860RS and it will spool very early. I'll be anxious to see how different it feels. Mine feels a bit like a supercharged setup when everything is set right, it just pulls a lot harder up top. It gets scary quick/fast at 18 psi in 3rd and 4th. I think you'll love it, especially since you get traction with the AWD. Does yours use the same trans as the Wagovan RT4wd or different? Super low 1st and then 5 normal gears?

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The stock block will handle 400whp or 300kw if tuned properly, so you should be good on the sleeves as long as they are good to start with. I know the rest will handle it as long as you have ARP head studs. Head gasket is then the weak link. Which HG are you. running?

I also hate that the ZCR flamed out. Miss it terribly.

I have links for the W2A and some pics. I probably need to get some pics now since I've updated the set up. You should be able to make 300whp or 225kw with ease out of a GT2860RS and it will spool very early. I'll be anxious to see how different it feels. Mine feels a bit like a supercharged setup when everything is set right, it just pulls a lot harder up top. It gets scary quick/fast at 18 psi in 3rd and 4th. I think you'll love it, especially since you get traction with the AWD. Does yours use the same trans as the Wagovan RT4wd or different? Super low 1st and then 5 normal gears?
I'm using ARP studs and a Cometic MLS gasket. Yeah the trans is the same as the wagon one 5+SL. Sounds like i'm on the right path! Keen to see pics of the w2a setup..

81 - 100 of 104 Posts