Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cheers,

Updates:

My vacuum degassing chamber arrived. Set it up and had a go and worked good. This is to remove some small bubbles i was noticing that rose to the surface of the prototype ones i did early on while it was setting.

Couple of pics of it pulling bubbles out of the urethane:

I've got a retaining ring that needs to be welded to the CNC'd inner housings which has been delayed (was hoping to get them done this weekend, but the tooling broke unexpectedly and i'm getting them laser cut instead).

So casting will start this time next week instead of this weekend as expected.

Apologies guys!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
While we're waiting patiently i thought i'd post up some photos of the R&D that went into selecting the right urethane compounds and bonding agents.

If you're not aware, polyurethane will bond to just about anything, but the quality of the bond depends on a lot things. Through trial and error and getting feedback from various companies tech staff, I've managed to achieve a bond that exceeds the strength of the polyurethane.

Of course, this is only part of the design. Both the inner and outer housings are overmolded in such a way that they both have mechanical bonds which also secure the molded urethane to each housing.

The first two images show a less successful bond, where the urethane is stronger than the adhesion which means it can be delaminated by pulling it off. The last image shows the bond strength is better than the urethane and can not be removed without destroying the urethane. This was achieved by careful surface prep of the steel, a bonding primer, a bonding agent and then laying the urethane over the top.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice, thanks for sharing all the hard work u have put into these. They will Definately be stronger than stock, that's a huge plus.. Can't wait

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've got everything now and have started casting.

Here's number 1:

The urethane takes about a day to set enough to de mold, so i'm casting about 1 per day from now. First 2 sets to be shipped next Monday, and the third a couple of days after that.

Watch this space

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Starting to get some momentum. First set will be shipped this arvo if i can get to the post office before it closes.

One thing i'll note is that there are still a few small air bubbles that seem to be introduced when it's poured and rise when it sets, i just can't seem to avoid them (even with degassing). They're only small so they wont affect performance but you'll notice them on the top side of the casting.

Super keen to send these out :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Starting to get some momentum. First set will be shipped this arvo if i can get to the post office before it closes.

One thing i'll note is that there are still a few small air bubbles that seem to be introduced when it's poured and rise when it sets, i just can't seem to avoid them (even with degassing). They're only small so they wont affect performance but you'll notice them on the top side of the casting.

Super keen to send these out :)
Niiiice..:yes::yes:

·
Formerly weebeastie
904 Posts
These are amazing! Excellent work! I guess now I need to start thinking about going AWD in my wagon lol. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I received mine today, the quality is outstanding. I can't wait to install them.
:)

These are amazing! Excellent work! I guess now I need to start thinking about going AWD in my wagon lol. Keep up the good work
Cheers,

I've got a few sets together and ready to ship out now. I was using this thread to document the R&D process and to gauge interest, but i'm going to post these up in the for sale section now that they're ready to go.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts