Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever leaned real hard on a RT 4WD transmission.

Presuming super low gear is not used in anger, how do they stand up compared to other D series transmissions.

Presuming some sense re pre-loading and clutch operation and good road tyres but no slicks and in an 88 CRX chassis, at what power/torque levels are they durable enough for a daily driver. How badly will I need a spare rebuilt box to change over on short notice.

I am aiming for a little over 200hp and a little under 200ftlb in a bored stroked turbocharged 1.8 litre DOHC D series red lined at about 7500rpm.

Will I keep smashing gear boxes.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
No launches, slicks, or hard shifts and it will be ok. Don't use SL 1st, the MS teeth are tiny, it breaks very easily. I'd have some spare t-cases ready to go. That is the main weakpoint.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
they will handle 350-400 whp if you are easy on the launch and shifts.

Chris, have you read about Jakar's RWD setup? Then there is the AWD Civic the Simmions now owns and us try to sell.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I have access to a 4wd EG at the moment I'm considering purchasing. Wagovan drivetrain.

The D-series lsd fits in the rear end with minor shim work.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
do you need the money for something else? cuz thats a sick project to be flipping
I have spare money; it's just whether or not I want to risk investing in a flip. Especially with the winter coming up.

Everything is pretty much already done, drivetrain and rear end mounted. It needs a few misc things and the motor put back in.

It's NICE. Extended wheel studs, braided fuel line w/ AN fittings, custom suspension, custom trailing arms, etc.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have spare money; it's just whether or not I want to risk investing in a flip. Especially with the winter coming up.

Everything is pretty much already done, drivetrain and rear end mounted. It needs a few misc things and the motor put back in.

It's NICE. Extended wheel studs, braided fuel line w/ AN fittings, custom suspension, custom trailing arms, etc.
Just out of curiosity what would you try to get out of it?
Winter things do slow down, people save and such but regardless its something that will hold its value as long as you can afford to live w/o flipping it right away.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
they will handle 350-400 whp if you are easy on the launch and shifts.

Chris, have you read about Jakar's RWD setup? Then there is the AWD Civic the Simmions now owns and us try to sell.
Jaker on H-T?

Not familiar with Simmions, but I know of a RWD B Prelude using the 4WD CRV trans that can't keep the t-case together.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Just out of curiosity what would you try to get out of it?
Winter things do slow down, people save and such but regardless its something that will hold its value as long as you can afford to live w/o flipping it right away.
I'd be looking for $2500 sans motor.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
Jaker on H-T?

Not familiar with Simmions, but I know of a RWD B Prelude using the 4WD CRV trans that can't keep the t-case together.
Only on Jakar, OG Hybrid fool! Likely same name on HT....

Simmons bought the EPIC AWD hatch and did a few autox's with it, got bored and looking to move on.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought the CRV was a completely different system.

First off they where originally a B series engine.

Second the viscous coupling in the centre or the RT4WD tailshaft is replaced by an auto trans type clutch pack in the rear diff, or at least that's how I understand it.

I also have unconfirmed info that the CRV and RT4WD have very different transfer box ratios thereby needing very different rear axle final drive.

Like I said, mostly unconfirmed.

A former or not very active member here called Joey Davis gave me some info nearly a year ago, including an alleged source for a front axle LSD. I still have some homework to do, including investigating availability and cost of spares.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if the RT4WD box handles 350 to 400hp, I think that makes them about as durable as the ZC cable tranny?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
IIRC OBX LSD works in the rear diff, just flipped around.

On the RWD only setup the weak point it the T-housing, wheel hop will kill it.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Any LSD will work in the rearend. Drill out the bolt holes and that's it.

Mark Williams driveshaft Bone?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
Nope!

Bone,

Anything to do with the Super Low gear is gone. Other than that, the guts of this tranny as far as main and counter shaft are pretty much identical to the FWD transmission. I even went to the extent of grinding the Super Low gear on the countershaft down into a simple spacer.

It is in fact an Endyn M62 setup. It is however not 4x4. it's a straight RWD. I opted for the cheap out on the rear diff (OBX), because this whole mess is an experiment at this point. However, the rest is not of the same level. The driveshaft (86" long) is from ACPT in Huntington Beach, the rear axles are stage 2.9s from DSS, the front brakes are Wilwood 6 piston with 10.75" 2 piece rotors, the rears are ITR calipers with Wilwood 10.25" 2 piece rotors.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts