Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 crx
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Under accleration my DOHC ZC RPM reading is too high. Example when taking off, it reads @ 4000rpm under acceleation , but the engine sounds like its not reving that high whatsoever, more ike it is actually revved up to 3000, so i am assuming its something to do with the timing maybe? The needle justs likes to reach up there, therefore im not sure if i am really redlining it (when i do want to redline) or not when taking off.

Been trying to fix this issue and have no luck. Cleaned TB, cleaned IACV, Cleaned air intake.this is frustating as i bet it will be simple fix.

It also sits and idles at around 1100RPM at operating temp. (Which isnt correct).

Hope you gurus can assist. Cheers from Sydney.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You should have a tach test plug somewhere near the shock tower with a rubber cap on it. Take off the cap and connect a digital tachometer to the plug. If it reads correct, you have a problem with your interior gauge. If that reads wrong as well, you have electrical issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had something similar once on my nissan.
Turned out a potentiometer in the meter was screwed..
I had an aftermarket digital meter so i knew the readings on the analog meter was wrong..

·
Registered
88 crx
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks peeps. So two scenarios:

- if its the gauge i will have to change the whole cluster? (I change this alrealy lol becos the temp gauge was incorrect a few years back. It kepted jumping up and down randomly) freaked the crap out of me at traffic lights. I thought i was over heating. But now fixed with the whole new cluster.

- if its the distributor , well i guess a complete new one will fix it? so rotor cap and button change wont help.

I will however take the recommendations you guys have posted.

Many thanks guys.. long live the DOHC ZC culture. its amazing with all your help.

·
Registered
88 crx
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, quick update my RPM gauge suddenly appears to be reading ok last night. It even idles perfect now 900RPM ish. Well at least I know it's not my gauge. I wonder now. I did buy a new dizzy which I haven't fitted yet . If it does go back to the incorrect needle flow I am assuming the dizzy ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts