Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time my rpm and mph gauge needles on my stock 94 civic vx gauge cluster have begun to bounce up/down quickly for no apparent reason before settling down to normal operation while driving. Sometimes it is just the rpm others it is just the mph and other times it is both at the same time. I plugged in another cluster I have laying around without a tach and the mph did it also so I am almost positive it is not the cluster. Anyone else seen this before? I tried to search but did not seam to find similar issues. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went to check the grounds and the connectors and they are both tight and secure. The other day I noticed that my alternator light flickers when I merge on to the freeway when I hit around 5500 rpm only. So now I took the alternator off and replaced it with another I had tested a few times at Oreallys and it does the same thing. So I am assuming the alternator was not at fault. Now I have two electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I have seen this before. It was on an 88 CRX, with a shitty alternator. It was putting out A/C voltage and caused very similar symptoms. His was way out of spec at 16v A/C... but Its a quick check.

EDIT: He went through 3 remans from Oreilly. All did the same thing...... was still his issue.

had to buy a NEW one.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
^^^^yup.

question to the op. whenever that happens, what was the load? (radio, ac, headlights, etc.)

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
I've had this problem before in a 96 sedan with the exception of the alternator light blinking. The problem was with my gauge cluster, one of the ribbons on the back giving signal to my tach was burnt out. All I did was take a wire and bypassed the ribbon and used the screws that hold down the "silicon paper" as a means to power the tach.

I basically traced the ribbon and used a wire to provide power instead. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^yup.

question to the op. whenever that happens, what was the load? (radio, ac, headlights, etc.)

As far as the needles this happens in the day so far especially in the morning on my way to work. As far as the battery light flashing for a couple of short seconds I see it only at night so I had my a/c off and had to have my headlights on for safety. It may happen during the day but because the battery light is faint and flashes rapidly I may only be able to see it at night.

Both of the alternators I have are oem honda and the one that I installed recently I only had checked at Oreallys on thier tester 3 times in a row before I installed it on my car. Both alternators flash the battery light at around 5500rpm. My battery is about 1 1/2 yrs old Interstate green top. Now I wonder if both issues are both related to the same thing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've been reading, my rex does the same thing, its the dizzy. Mine is the ignitor or some shit.

Might give the dizzy a swap and see what happens.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
How did you find out it was the distributor? Should there be a code. I changed my ignitor a while back and unfortunately I do not have an extra one of those. I will also have to look into my vss. Although my tack does the same thing as my mph gauge, my mph gauge does it more often.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
mine just did this sunday afternoon.

Mine was corrosion on the Alt power lead. I cleaned it up, used some die electric grease, and back to working like usual

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
From what I've been reading, my rex does the same thing, its the dizzy. Mine is the ignitor or some shit.

Not to be rude, but can you explain to me how an ignitor going out will cause the bat light to come on?

Also, Oreilly, AZ, Kragen, Napa, I dont believe check for A/C output, only that it makes 13.9-14.0v, and it can handle a slight load.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If they have a diode light/test, they are testing for a/c voltage. Check the charge cable from alternator to under hood fuse box

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not to be rude, but can you explain to me how an ignitor going out will cause the bat light to come on?

Also, Oreilly, AZ, Kragen, Napa, I dont believe check for A/C output, only that it makes 13.9-14.0v, and it can handle a slight load.
Woops. Didn't see the bat light.

Still..bouncing tach is the dizzy.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^Yep, first-hand experience with the bouncing tach; ended up being an ignitor within the dizzy. Bouncing speedo is likely the VSS. Everything else...not a clue. LOL!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have checked the alt belt to see if it was too tight or losse but it does not seem to be the case. I will however check the alternator cable like suggested to see what happens.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

After reaserching my problem further it does seem to be an igniter problem inside the distributor according to others on the internet. It was the coil I changed before and not the igniter. Now the only thing to do is track one down other than a dealer part because I was quoted $275.00 special order over the phone. I want to fix it before my car leaves me stranded and actually throws a code which is supposed to be #15. Thanks for heading me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
This happened to me, but it was my grounds.

·
Registered
621 Posts
After reaserching my problem further it does seem to be an igniter problem inside the distributor according to others on the internet. It was the coil I changed before and not the igniter. Now the only thing to do is track one down other than a dealer part because I was quoted $275.00 special order over the phone. I want to fix it before my car leaves me stranded and actually throws a code which is supposed to be #15. Thanks for heading me in the right direction.
Is just get a different dizzy. Lol. Ignitors are expensive. Lol. J need to find one of my own. :/

Also..no worries. That's why we are here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts