Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Is it normal for the steering wheel to vibrate idling?
2. When in gear with or without ac turned on, My idle is pretty low. Roughly around 600 rpm I think. When I quickly stop on the gas, it bogs and picks up as normal. Sometimes, when I come to a stop, my RPMs drop and the car dies and it takes a couple of cranks to start her back up. I drive an automatic b7/z6 mini-me with ac and, power steering.
3. I'm spewing smoke out the back pipe when I hit vtec. MY rear bumper is covered with soot.

Do I need to adjust my idle control valve?
Is my timing out of wack?
Valve lash off?
Fuel injector problem?
FPR?

Been having this problem since the mini-me conversion.

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
pvc valve sensors might be bad.. check the sensors on the back side of the intake manifold..

are you burning oil? you rings could be going bad.. weak battery could be a problem..

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell if I'm burning it because I'm leaking too much to tell. I haven't gotten around to replacing my rear main seal and oil pan gasket.

I didn't know there was a sensor for the PCV valve. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Cuong-Nutz said:
I can't tell if I'm burning it because I'm leaking too much to tell. I haven't gotten around to replacing my rear main seal and oil pan gasket.

I didn't know there was a sensor for the PCV valve. I'll have to look into that.
There's not, don't bother looking.

Get your oil leaks fixed first. Sounds like your timing is way off, your fuel delivery is waaaaay too rich, or both.

·
0 Posts
Had the same problem in my d16z6 Del sol. I changed the pcv valve in the intake man. Then i adjusted the valve lash. seems to clear things up. also my timming was too high. while doing these things i went ahead and pulled the tb to clean it. When i looked in the intake man i saw lots of oil. If you don't clean this out then it will still smoke some until it burns off. Also FYI you might see that some people say to shake the pcv valve and if it rattles than it is ok. Not always true because the build up in the opening can hold the valve open enough to let oil through and the spring still flex.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check the valve. I guess I can start messing with the ignition timing and see if that helps. If not, then my cam timing is off. The current ignition timing is set at 16* BTDC.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Im having the same problem on a b7/z6 mini me. My cam timing is off and my fuel mixture is way way too rich. I learned you have to run the y8 cam gear or you automatically are running 4.5 degrees retarded with the z6 cam gear. What cam gear are you using? I bet your cam timing is off.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently running a stock y7 cam gear. I think I have it put on right. No one has commented me when I asked if I did or not so I assumed it was. I'm thinking I should install the AEM adjustable 3-bolt cam gear I have siitting here on my desk.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I'm in the process of installing my cam gear and I want to know if I have the cam timing set correctly. Remember the cam gear is for a 96-00 civic and it's going on a 92-95 civic with a z6 head swap. What I want to know exactly is my cam gear on correctly timing wise/position. The crank is at TDC. and so is the camshaft. I have verifed the camshaft's TDC position by using the stock z6 camshaft and aligning the marks.

how it's been set before:

Now the same way:

That is correct right?

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
You definitely can't tell from those pictures. Just make sure your gear is on correctly by using the marks. Also make sure your #1 cylinder is at top dead center (you can do this by using a drinking straw in your #1 cylinder). The dizzy can only go on one way technically... just put the big side of the C gear in the big side of the cam.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The first picture shows how I have the cam gear set up. If you look down on the bottom where the TDC alignment pointer is, you'll see the corresponding mark on the cam gear in white. The long white line to the left of it is the 96-00 cam gear's original TDC mark. The new mark I made is adjusted for the 4.75* tooth error encounted in this mini-me setup.

The last photo with the adjustable cam gear shows the same thing as the y7 cam gear.

In the picture of the dizzy, you'll see a mark on the dizzy housing. That mark should be centered onto the dizzy's base (cylinder head) like as it would on a normal z6 engine. I recall Transzex saying that his alignment marks matched up on the dizzy when he swapped in the y7 cam gear when he installed an a6 cam in his d15b7. I can't say the same for mine. How it's currently set up, the ignition timing is set at 16* BTDC in that position.

Well, I spent like 3 hours of hell trying to get my new damn cam gear in place and removing it and putting back my old one. The new cam gear's bolts were too long and chewed the back of the timing belt cover where it covers the lower portion of the cam seal. I found out when I cranked her up and it was making a noise. Stopped the car and saw plastic shavings. Great. I don't think that these hex bolts were the original ones.

I think something could be wrong with my number 1 injector. It didn't sound right when I stuck a screwdriver on it. It wasn't a loud "tick" like the others. I need a get me a multimeter and have it tested.

I'm starting to wonder if there's anyone with the same setup as me having similar problems.

There's no need for me to stick a long screwdriver into #1 since I'm using the alignment marks on the crank pulley.

I'm aware that the dizzy fits into the cam one way :)

Ah, back to the drawing board...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts