Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
This one's for you, Duck.
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October 2005

Winner: Rexinre

First we would like to congratulate you on being the Ride of the Month for October on behalf of D-Series and the staff. It’s a big accomplishment to have such a wide variety of people vote for your ride. Hopefully you will continue to go in the direction you are with your ride and accomplish all of your goals. Here are a few questions being asked by the D-Series staff for a little more information on you and your ride.

D-Series Staff: How old are you?
Rexinre: I just turned 27 in the beginning of October.

D-Series Staff: What is your favorite soda?
Rexinre: I really don't like soda, usually its iced tea, but if I had to choose I would do the dew!

D-Series Staff: If you could only eat 1 thing for 3 days straight what would it be?
Rexinre: Wow, well... I never thought about that before. I guess it would be pizza, cold pizza for breakfast, plain pizza for lunch, and for dinner pizza with some kind of meat topping. Either pizza or cereal; cereal would be good too... probably healthier then pizza.

D-Series Staff: Where do you live?
Rexinre: I live in a small town in Northern New Jersey. I like it but it's getting too expensive anymore.

D-Series Staff: What do you do to support this costly habit?
Rexinre: I am in the Military, and have a part time job at a clothing store.

D-Series Staff: What are 3 good things and 3 bad things about being involved with this hobby?
Rexinre: The top 3 good things... Smoking a V8 and a DOHC; educating others ab0out the potential of the D; Being proud of your own work!

The top 3 bad things... when stuff brakes; Cost and wait time for quality parts; loosing to something faster!

D-Series Staff: How long have you been working on your ride?
Rexinre: I have been working on the car since 1998, starting with the exterior of the car, paint, rims, and wing.

D-Series Staff: What made you choose to do a D-Series motor?
Rexinre: Originally I was going to swap it out for a B16, but I drove a friend's EX turbo and made me change my mind. He had a Greddy kit on his and it was fast! I also drove some B-series swaps and was not impressed at all. That's when I found the old D-Series.org and started to read. I then discovered that it really doesn't make sense to swap out the whole motor... The only way I would see someone swapping out the mighty D is if they wanted to make gobs of power like 600+ WHP.

D-Series Staff: How did you discover D-Series.org?
Rexinre: I used to be part of the old site. I was doing some research for a mini-me head swap on yahoo or google and it brought me to that site... been there/here ever since!

D-Series Staff: What is the best thing you did to the car up to this point?
Rexinre: Well, there are so many things from the wideband O2 (a great tool btw) to the turbo itself. If I were to pick one thing, it would be the turbo.

D-Series Staff: How much horse power do you have?
Rexinre: The last time it was dyno'd I had 240whp and 210 foot lbs of torque. Since then though I changed the compression, computer, injectors and got a wideband O2 so I estimate a lot more.

D-Series Staff: What is your best 1/4 mile run?
Rexinre: My best time in the 1/4 mile is 13.4 on street tires, and that was with my old setup. My best speed in the 1/4 is 111mph. With out slicks its tough to hook up properly... I recently went to the track and blew my head gasket approximately 1/2 way down the track, still ran a 16.1 at 84 mph; to me this was a good time because I coasted the rest of the way down the track.

D-Series Staff: What do you think your car will run in the future?
Rexinre: It's tough to say... I want to be in the 12s so bad I can taste it, but who really knows?

D-Series Staff: Do you work on your own car? Or do you bring it someplace? If you do your own work, where did you learn it?
Rexinre: I do work on my own car, to a certain extent. I do everything except for the major machine work, boring & honing, decking the head/block... stuff like that. I learned a lot of things from reading and researching on www.d-series.org. Other experiences I picked up from friends, the helms manual, and just by trial and error through working on the car itself. I never went to school for it though... stay in school kids!

D-Series Staff: If you had to go back and change 1 thing you did involving the car what would it be and why?
Rexinre: I would go back and tell myself not to go to the place I did in the beginning for my machine work. They were so expensive that it put a huge hole in my pocket, plus most of the work they did failed at one point or another... thumbs down to them (names not necessary).

D-Series Staff: What are your plans for it in the future?
Rexinre: Well, nothing right away because of the baby on the way! But far in the future I would love to own a set of slicks, finish installing my knock sensor, lighten my car up a bit, and consider some new tail lights ;)!

D-Series Staff: Is there anyone you want to thank?
Rexinre: I would like to thank, my wife Katie, all the folks at D-Series.org, Marty MacDonald, Jay Tutino, Chris Forgues, Mark from A1Crankshaft.com, Cliff, and Pat Black! Thanks for everyone's help and for putting up with me during both builds, I couldn't have done it with out any of you!

Rexinre's mods list...
Bottom End
D16y5 Block
Crank Micro-polished
Eagle connecting rods
ARP Rod Bolts
JE-SRP Pistons 10.5:1 c/r
Whole bottom end balanced and blueprinted

Top End
D16y8 Head
Port & Polished for Turbo application
3 angle valve job
Crower Titanium Valves
Crower Titanium Valve springs
Crower Titanium Valve retainers
Crower Stage 2 Turbo Cam
Cometic Head Gasket
Skunk 2 Adjustable cam gear
Cosmo adjustable fuel pressure regulator w/gauge
ARP Head Studs
Hondata thick intake manifold gasket
JG Edelbrock 65mm throttle body port matched to intake manifold
Type R Valve Cover (shinny)
Flowmaster cat-back exhaust 2.25”
Bomz High Flow Cat

Edelbrock Turbo Kit
Performer X intake manifold
Luccas 550cc injectors
Tail blow off valve
Garret T-28 ball bearing turbo
Edelbrock exhaust manifold and elbow
Ceramic coated Turbo piping
Large Spearco intercooler
Tial blow-off valve

Cooling
TOYO Oversized radiator
FAL High revving cooling fan

ECU
P28 OBD1 ECU
OBD1 OBD2 conversion harness
Tuned to 14psi with Crome
Zextronic wideband 02 sensor
APEX-I Boost Controller
Greddy Turbo Timer

Tranny
EX transmission
Quaife LSD
DC Short shifter
Fadanza ultra light weight flywheel (7lbs)
Stage 3 clutch

Rollies & Hard Stuff
Fox 5 16” Rims
KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks
Extreme camber kits
Skunk 2 Coilovers
Front Strut tower bar

Looks
Tsunami front bumper
Tsunami rear
Mini Scorpion wing/spoiler
Gun metal paint job (by Jay)
Blue Head Light Housings

Inside
Sony Speciatly series MEX-R5 head unit
Peripheral Vision 7” monitor
3 JL 10” Subs
Polk DB’s 6x9
Kenwood 200wt amp
Cadence 200 wt amp
Carbon fiber kit

Gauges
Windshield mounted pillar 3 gauge pods
Speedometer w/ 2 gauges pod
Air fuel ratio gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Boost gauge
Vault meter gauge
Water Temp gauge

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
November 2005

Winner: modsHXcivi

First we would like to congratulate you on being the Ride of the Month for November on behalf of D-Series and the staff. It’s a big accomplishment to have such a wide variety of people vote for your ride. Hopefully you will continue to go in the direction you are with your ride and accomplish all of your goals. Here are a few questions being asked by the D-Series staff for a little more information on you and your ride.

modsHXcivi: I turned 33 in May.

modsHXcivi: I would have to say Pepsi or Orange Slice.

D-Series Staff: If you could only eat 1 thing for 3 days straight what would it be?
modsHXcivi: Dam, 1 thing for 3 days.....Hmmmmm
Chinese Food, Chicken w/ Broccoli combo Platter :TU:

modsHXcivi: I live in Central New Jersey.

modsHXcivi: Just About Everything....Home Improvement all phases of.

D-Series Staff: What are 3 good things and 3 bad things about being involved with this hobby?
modsHXcivi: The top 3 good things....
Having D16 and not a B16. Being with girl who loves cars as much as myself. Having the know how to turn all my own wrench's.

3 bad things....
Ricers, Waiting on machine work, Not being able to enjoy this hobby year round due to weather.

modsHXcivi: My car being a 1998 Hx, has seen many changes since than, with more on there way...y8 head/tran... Swap

modsHXcivi: D-Series parts are cheaper and easier to come by.

modsHXcivi: I was searching around one day, just kinda came across the site.

modsHXcivi: Removed the white stripe, painted my wheels black... got all my mini me parts

modsHXcivi: Have never hit the dyno/track ...no idea, maybe after the mini me swap in the spring.

D-Series Staff: Do you work on your own car? Or do you bring it someplace? If you do your own work, where did you learn it?
modsHXcivi: I have done all my engine and paint work myself.

D-Series Staff: If you had to go back and change 1 thing you did involving the car what would it be and why?
modsHXcivi: I wouldn't change anything, I Love My HONDA.

modsHXcivi: Mini me swap along with trans, ecu, clutch and flywheel.

modsHXcivi: I'd like the thank all of you guys/gals for keeping the D-series spirit alive, with out all of you there would be no us. D-Series for life!!!!

modsHXcivi setup is the following yet not limited to...
Engine Mods:
Aem under drive pulleys/ cam gear
intake w/ k&n filter
B16 ported TB
header 2.25 pipe
Msd w/ coil
soon to be swapping z6 head, trans and ecu

Exterior Mods:
Xexon body kit
Black widow wing
Konig Traffixs
Vis CF hood

Check my VB garage for more info

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
December 2005

Winner: EJ1Freak

Everyone from d-series would like to congratulate you on being the Ride of the Month for December. It’s a big accomplishment to have such a wide variety of people vote for your ride, and landsliding the votes like you did. Hopefully you will continue to go in the direction you are with your ride and accomplish all of your goals. Here are a few questions being asked by the D-Series staff for a little more information on you and your ride.

D-Series Staff: Congratulations; How does it feel to be the 1st girl to win the ROTM at d-series.org? How does it feel to be the 1st person not residing in New Jersey to win?
EJ1 Freak: I think it’s awesome…thank you to everyone who voted! But I really prefer to be considered as just one of the guys! I have never wanted respect for my car because I’m a girl…but because of the car itself! I’m glad I was able to bring ROTM over to the west coast…but I’d much rather be over there cuz then I’d get to hang out with some of my favorite d-series guys…and this time I swear I won’t kill you three! hahaha

EJ1 Freak: I will be 24 in February.

EJ1 Freak: Baja Blast Mountain Dew!

EJ1 Freak: I could eat burrito’s from Chipotle anytime…yummm!

EJ1 Freak: Norcal baby…but to be a little more specific I’m in the bay area!

EJ1 Freak: I’m a Financial Analyst/Accountant! I will be going back to get my MBA soon…so I can make more money to support this lifestyle…hahaha!

EJ1 Freak: The top 3 good things... Building something that represents who you are and getting respect for it, racing, and meeting other tuner enthusiasts!

The top 3 bad things... The negative perception we get from other people (thanks to all the ricers…haha), having everyone ask me when I’m swapping, and always being asked if it’s my boyfriends car!

EJ1 Freak: I’ve been in the scene since 2001 and this is my fourth ej1! I’ve been working on her for the past couple years and am happy with the way she is turning out! It’s a never ending process that I look forward to continuing!

EJ1 Freak: First off I didn’t have money to swap while I was in college…hahaha…which is what I originally wanted to do! Then after learning more about them and the potential they have I decided to keep mine and build it up! I also love being the underdog and being able to prove people wrong about d-series being weak! It’s been a long process but I’m glad I never jumped on the bandwagon! Everyone on this site has been awesome and it’s nice to have other people who share the same passion for d-series motors!

EJ1 Freak: When I first started out I was just like everyone else and wanted to swap in a dohc vtec motor because I thought that was the only way to make power! After owning my first couple ej’s I started becoming more familiar with my motor (z6)! I still wasn’t convinced yet…until I was talking to a guy I knew and was asking his opinion on whether I should swap or not! He told me to check out this website that might help me decide…and a year later here I am!

EJ1 Freak: I wish I could say a turbo or something like that….but that will be coming soon! As of now I’m going to have to say my carbon fiber trunk…just because it’s not something everyone has and I love carbon fiber!

EJ1 Freak: At this point I’m not sure…it’s never been dyno’d. I’m waiting to dyno it when I get my turbo on!

EJ1 Freak: I’ve never ran my car at the track…but if the weather holds up I’ll be there this weekend…so I’ll keep you updated!

EJ1 Freak: I try to do as much of it as I can…so far I’ve only installed the exterior body pieces and all my engine bolt-on’s! For all the stuff in the past that I haven’t been able to do I’ve received help from Mark at Mark’s Imports in my hometown! He’s a great guy and really knows what he’s talking about!

EJ1 Freak: Not having those damn side skirts installed…they’re a pain in my ass now! lol

EJ1 Freak: I’m working on a turbo build right now but am still in the researching phase! I’m still not sure what parts I want to go with! I want to build the motor up completely as well. There are a couple other misc. things as well such as new side skirts, window tint, and finally installing my side markers!

EJ1 Freak: Of course everyone on d-series for all your help and support…you guys are awesome! I’d also like to thank one of my best friends Heather for putting up with all my car talk…I swear she’s the only one of my female friends that tries to understand and learn what I’m talking about. Also my family for helping me along the way and those overnight trips to trailer my car home…hahaha!!!!

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
January 2006

Winner: GTH

Everyone from d-series would like to congratulate you on being the Ride of the Month for January. It’s a big accomplishment to have such a wide variety of people vote for your ride. Hopefully you will continue to go in the direction you are with your ride and accomplish all of your goals. Here are a few questions being asked by the D-Series staff for a little more information on you and your ride.

GTH: 23.

D-Series Staff: What is your real name?
GTH: Clay B.

D-Series Staff: What made you enter the ROTM contest?
GTH: I was jealous of all the previous winners, with their cars on the front page taunting me!

GTH: Orange Mountain Dew!

GTH: I love Popcorn

GTH: Naptown! Indianapolis Indiana.

GTH: I wok my ass off, duh! I'm really a Land Surveyor for a local Engineer company.

GTH:
The Good: The people around it, The thrill of accomplishment, and Having fun driving this thing around!

The Bad: Spending money on a Bad Investment, Always wanting more, and The hours it takes to clean this thing!

GTH: More than 3 years and counting...

D-Series Staff: Do you like Pizza?
GTH: Hell yeah!

GTH: It came with the car! J/K, I did a lot of research into the other motors, but I decided that I could really make some D power and be different than everyone around my area. I should be able to handle my own this racing season!

GTH: It was so long ago, I don't think I remember! I think it could have been honda-tech...

GTH: PSSST. Turbo by far! Then my Seats...

GTH: Not sure with the new setup, I'd like to close in on 300hp.

GTH: Two years ago, I ran a 14.6 @ 96 mph. It was my old setup, and my 60' was horrible!

GTH: Hopefully mid to low 13s this season :wink:

GTH: I do a little of both. I already know what I know, it's more fun getting guys together to learn from each other. That's when you learn the most!

GTH: It would probably be doing my suspension earlier. It really changed the way I drive it, and I waited way to long to buy the coilovers!

GTH: Continue working on the Interior stuff, and add some carbon fiber goodies! :grin:

GTH: I'd like to thank my wife, for putting up with me. Everyone at D-Series for all your help and info, plus voting for me. And to my Dad, for allowing me to constantly stain his garage floor!

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
February 2006

Winner: berettagtz117

Congratulations on winning the ROTM for February, your ride is an excellent addition to the elite ROTM winners for fiscal year 06. It is a great accomplishment to have many of the active members of d-series.org to choose your creation for their favorite ride this month. To get to know you and your car a little better d-series.org's staff put together a few questions...

: 23

berettagtz117: Orange Slice

D-Series Staff: What is your sign?
berettagtz117: Taurus

D-Series Staff: Do you like Cat's or Dog's?
berettagtz117: Dog lover, dont like cats..

berettagtz117: Spaghetti

berettagtz117: Spokane, WA "In DA Dirty Valley"

berettagtz117: Work @ Window manufacturing comp., doing concrete w/ my dads business, work as technician @ Air Force base as civilian, do Air National Gaurd one weekend a month and deploy when needed.

berettagtz117: Good- Meating people, being able to do my own work, going fast!
Bad- thieves always checking your shit out, cops always harassing you, costly hobby

berettagtz117: This one I have had almost 2 years, I have done so many different things/motors its crazy :smile: I always have to be doing something to it to make it faster, better handling ect..

berettagtz117: "The underdog" its also cheaper, easier to find, and faster for the $!

berettagtz117: Ryan's mom told me about it! lol~Actually I cant remember, I was always joining new sites but kept getting disturbed on how rude most were, this one was very friendly and to this day is still one of the best sites around for info, tech, "people", and all the other great things that go along w/ this community.

berettagtz117: Turbo! I learned alot about how boost actually works by doing it, along w/ tuning, and how critical it can be to the life of motor :hammer: .

berettagtz117: Currently not dynoed on this motor, but im guessing close to 240 w/ new goodies I have put on it, and rescent tuning adjustments that were made.

berettagtz117: 12.9 on 10lbs w/ street tires on stock internal motor. With small turbo

berettagtz117: 11's!!!!!!! And very streetable

berettagtz117: I work on my own as well as all my cars. I learned on my own by working on not only my cars but my friends, just by taking them apart and learning as I go, plus the help of sites like this w/ informative info to get me through some tricky things.. I have been very mechanically inclined my whole life so it came natural to me..

berettagtz117: My tune and ballz, I wouldnt have blown my "built" motor if I wouldnt have been craving so much boost and hp on high comp motor w/out ever adjusting original tune.

berettagtz117: To go faster on budget builds. I have 4 motors @ my house that I plan on working on all of them to see where I can push the limits of them all..

berettagtz117: NO.. LOL I would like to thank the wonderful members of D-series.org for voting for me for ROTM, and those who have always been there when I had ?'s on something @ one time or another.. This site is great and has been since day I joined, I would like to see it stay that way for as long as it is around! Keep up all the good work guys/gals, if you put your mind and heart into something it will make you happy w/ the results.

93 Civic Vx
Engine
A6/Z6 Turbo
A6 block w/ over 200k on it, w/ Z6 crank, rods, pistons, girdle, oil pump/pickup ect.,oil pan. 100k on these parts
Z6 head "Stock"
Skunk2 Manifold/b16a2 tb
Eldebrock cam gear
ARP Head studs
ACL bearings
ACT HDSS clutch
ACT streetlite flywheel

Turbo Setup:
T3 42/48 off Saab
Revhard IC w/ 2 1/2" piping
Blitz BOV
Tial 35mm WG
CS Addict Manifold "HMT"
DSM 450's
Chrome tuned
Stealthmode Oil lines

Rota Subzero 15's wrapped w/ Falken Ziex 512's
Carbon Fiber hood
Tokiko Illumina R's w/ Skunk 2 Springs..
RE raw Strut tower bar
Brembo Rotors w/ Aem Brake pads
Spoon style CF duckbill wing
rear tower bar and lower tie bar "no Name"

Interior
Skunk 2 shift knob
B&M short shifter
JDM CTR shift boot
VAFC 2
PLX 300 Wideband

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
March 2006

Winner: ryan89crx

First off everyone at d-series would like to congratulate you on being the winner for March Ride of The Month! It was a little close but in the end you came out on top as we all thought you would! Congratulations again on this fantastic accomplishment, yet another great addition to D-series 1st annual 07 calendar! Great job again Ryan, keep up the good work!

ryan89crx: 23, Ill be 24 at the end of the year

ryan89crx: Mountain Dew FTW!!

D-Series Staff: What are your top 3 favorite movies?
ryan89crx: hmmm, this is a tough one...
1. Super Troopers
2. Tommy Boy
3. Band of Brothers series

D-Series Staff: What do you think about the other ROTM winners? Do you like the contest?
ryan89crx: The contest is great, I think it helps members feel more welcome coming to the site and seeing a member's ride on the front page. Kind of gives people incentive to become active members.

D-Series Staff: How does it feel to win?
ryan89crx: Feels good, a little too close for comfort, but I honestly never expected to win when I entered.

ryan89crx: Dogs, havent had a cat since I was a little kid. I really dont see the point, they dont listen or care when they do anything wrong. Maybe I'm just a control freak, lol.

ryan89crx: It would have to be a steak. I can never get enough, I love to barbeque

ryan89crx: Tri-Cities, Washington. Born in cold Minnesota though.

ryan89crx: Im a technician at a Caterpillar dealership here in the Tri-Cities. Not something I ever pictured myself doing, but the opportunity was there and the pay is decent so I figured why not?

ryan89crx:
Good:
1. Adrenaline rush
2. Seeing something that you worked hard to accomplish work the way it should
3. Friends that share the same hobby
Bad:
1. The "street racer" title just for owning a Honda that isnt stock
2. Harrassment from law enforcement for the same reason as #1
3. People in the same hobby that feel the need to hate because of car brand, parts brand, type of motor, etc.

ryan89crx: I bought it when I was 19 or 20, I cant really remember, lol. I didnt do a whole lot at first, just some ricey rims and ghetto exhaust. It wasnt until about a year and a half ago that I really decided that I didnt care about big wheels and the regular ghetto shit like that and decided that I wanted my car to be fast. Ever since its become a money pit, but I love it!

ryan89crx: I was broke, and couldnt afford a B series to be honest. Then after research and learning the possibilities I decided to stick with it. I even had a B16 setup that I sold instead of installing because I wanted to stick with the D. I kind of like being the underdog, especially when you pop your hood and see the other person's face when they see you're rocking the single cam.

ryan89crx: I was doing a search on the DOHC ZC swap. I signed up to ask a stupid question. It really was a total noob thing to. I dont think anyone remembers what I asked, I do, but thats all the farther it will ever go ;)

ryan89crx: Definately turbo. theres nothing else like it. I was n/a and I thought it was pretty quick, won a lot of races, lost a lot as well. It isnt until you feel that first pull in boost that you realize that your thinking was way off before. Its definately a rush, and addictive. The best way I can describe it is like a drug, you can never get enough and you will do anything to keep it.

ryan89crx: I havent been to the dyno yet, I will soon. Probably within the next month, but Ill be modest and say under 200hp. Might not seem like much, but when the HF came from the factory at a shade over 1800lbs, its definately nothing to shake your head at. Im hoping to hit 215 though with this setup.

ryan89crx: Ive only been to the track once, and that was before turbo. I ran a 15.6 with my stock d16a6, stock SI exhaust mani, 2.25" exhaust with no cat, and a eBay cold air. not too bad, not too good.

ryan89crx: Well I will be at the track April 1st, and my guess is a 13.5, although a low 13 or high 12 would be ideal. Im not the best driver from a dig, and Im not ashamed to say it. I just need more practice.

ryan89crx: I do 90% of my own work. My dad and my brother help me a little with my welding, but other than that its all me. Wrenching kind of runs in the family, my dad has been a diesel mechanic his whole life so I grew up around it. If your vehicle broke, you fixed it yourself. I could never see myself paying someone else to do something i can do for free. Im pretty lucky and I get to work at my dad's place of employment. They are lenient and we have access to everything you could need to work on a car.

ryan89crx: Not making anything of it when I first got it. I just drove it around and never did anything to make it faster or handle better. I was a little too preoccupied with spending money in other negative things to worry about my car.

ryan89crx: I want to get an LSD in my tranny and build my spare block. Eventually Id like to see 11s. I think that is a ways off though.

ryan89crx: Well my brother and my dad for all their help and not thinking I was crazy. My gf for not breaking up with me when i spent more time working on my car than hanging with her, lol. And everyone on d-series.org that helped me when I needed info on my car. Without this forum it would never be where it is today, nor would I have ever realized the potential that it has. Thank You!!

The rest
1989 Honda CRX HF - "stock looking"
H&R sport lowering springs
Tokico HP "Blues" struts
GSR Fat Fives

'90 d16a6 motor/transmision
Centerforce stg2 clutch
Homemade log mani, heatwrapped
T3 .42/.48 turbo @ 7.5psi
Greddy Profec B spec II, high boost at 11.5psi
Tial knockoff external WG
2.5" downpipe with integraded WG dumptube
3" exhaust with N1 style muffler
DSM 450 bluetops
DSM bov
obd1 conversion running Crome Pro
PLX-M300 wideband
60mm Boost and Pyrometer gauges

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
April 2006

Winner: vtecduck

First off everyone at d-series would like to congratulate you on being the winner for April Ride of The Month! Your car is very unique and a lot of d-series'rs agree. Congratulations again on this fantastic accomplishment, another wonderful addition to D-series 1st annual 07 calendar!

vtecduck:31

vtecduck:Coke

vtecduck:
1.Billy Madison,
2.Die Hard
3.Fifth Element

D-Series Staff: What do you think about the other ROTM winners? Do you like the contest?
vtecduck:I really like the contest, I think it gives everyone a chace to put their car up and see how it does and what other members think about it. I didn't think I had a chance to win compared to the other month's winners.

vtecduck: It feels great, this is the first time I've won anything with my car lol.

vtecduck: Both, I have cats though

vtecduck: My wife's pork chops

vtecduck: Greer, SC

vtecduck: I'm a cellular repair tech for Verizon Wireless

vtecduck:
Good things:
meeting new people
a lot of my friends enjoy the same hooby
being able to take something from 125 crank hp to almost 200whp and still have room to grow
Bad things:
kinda the same as Ryan's lol
Being labled as a "rice boy" just because of me driving a modified honda
The police constantly following me or thinking I'm up to no good because of my choice in cars
The "I'm better than you" attitude alot of people have.

vtecduck: right at 7 years

vtecduck: It came in the car when I bought it,lol. I didn't realize the full potetial of it until I joined D-series.org last year.

vtecduck: I stumbled onto it by accident doing a web search;lol. Def glad I found this place :smile:

vtecduck: Turbo!!!!

vtecduck: 195whp on a dynapack dyno

vtecduck: Haven't had a chance to run the 1/4 yet

vtecduck: hopefully I'll be in the low 9's on the 1/8th this year if I can get my car to hook up and quit wheel hopping

vtecduck: I do alot of my own work, but I also have a bunch of friends to help me when it comes to something I'm not 100% sure about. One of my good friends is a honda tech, he's taught me alot.

vtecduck: I kinda went a little ricey in the beginning, I wish I would've stayed away from that and put the money into performance to begin with

vtecduck: LSD, build the bottom end, upgrade the turbo and up the boost

vtecduck: My wife for not killing me and supporting me with all the time and money I spend on my car :smile:, all my friends for helping me with all the work that's gone into it (too many to list,lol), and D-Series.org for all the help and support I've gotten from everyone here in my short time being a member, I wish I would've found this site a couple years ago.

VTECDuck
jason williams

1994 civic ex coupe
Greddy 15g turbo kit
Greddy FMIC
Jackson Racing cam gear
Crane 11mm wires
Msd Blaster SS coil
MSD cap
Skunk 2 manifold
RC 440 inj
Holley FPR
Walbro fuel pump
ACT Stage 2 clutch
Clutchmasters lightened flywheel
Neuspeed Front and rear upper strut bars
Tokico 5-way adj struts
Eibach sportline springs
3” custom downpipe
3” mandrel bent exhaust with apex n1 muffler
no cat or resonator
Greddy profec e-01 for data logging and boost gauge
Greddy profec type-s boost controller
HKS type 1 US standard turbo timer
Autometer phantom air/fuel gauge
Stewart Warner ultra shift light
Type R shift boot
Grex shift knob
P28 tuned with CROME Pro
GSR fat fives

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
May 2006

Winner: Tad

Congratulations Tad on winning ROTM for May! It is a stunning civic that was customized by your tastes and people appreciated it by voting for you for this month's ride of the month. Good job and good luck in the future with your ride!

Tad: BD is June 4th, so i'm almost 25!

Tad: I try not to drink soda,
but classic coke in a glass with ice always hits the spot.

Tad: Nausicaa, Saving Private Ryan, Fight Club
lots lots more

Tad: I liked that red coupe from last month,
very clean! I'd like to see more cleanly done cars, remember peeple, use your style sense,
simplicity & performance are a good combo!

Tad: Always feels good to win, haha.

Tad: Just heard my dog's got cancer,
so I gotta give props to the doggies.

Tad: Chocolate, or Dim Sum!
I don't even have to hesitate..

Tad: Palo Alto, CA

Tad: Used to do whatever the fuck I could,
but right now I've prettymuch stopped dropping money into my car. I'm hoping to get things worked out pretty soon because the next project I do will be all out!

Tad:
good
-Very fulfilling to create some great
-it's awsome having a car that's insanely fun to drive.
-Everyone uses cars, so it's good knowledge to have.

Bad
-expensive!
-Driving a highly modded honda is pretty gnarly if you don't have a daily/beater to back it up.
-all time consuming!
Tad: I've had this car for about 2 years now
but it has alot of parts swapped from my last hatchie that saw it's end in a hydroplane accident.

Tad: I love going against the grain,
and not following the herd. Building dseries seems so illogical to so many, but yet the $ to performance ratio is so great, no way i'd pass em up. I like how light they are as well.

Tad: don't remember exactly, probably some honda-tech member.

Tad: JRSC

Tad: dyno'd @ 177whp, I think it made a bit more for a while after that,
currently it's running n/a with tiny injectors for smog/gas mileage

Tad: never been.

Tad: 13's

Tad: All work done by me, except for tuning,
which is my next goal, to learn how to tune myself.
Learned mostly from here, honda-tech, and my pdf service manual.

Tad: There is ALWAYS room for improvement.
if I had to pick one thing, it'd be wider wheels/tires.. and silver instead of steelgray.

Tad: I'm afraid the car may be for sale soon,
and a new project will begin.

Tad: I'd like to thank all the highly knowledgeable folk that take the time to answer peoples tech questions, you'd be suprised at how much of an impact you guys make.

Tad (Tomi)
Car is a 92 cx
phantom gray pearl paint
engine:
d15b vtec
JRSC @ 9psi
intake/exhaust
lightened fw
tuned via crome
177whp/135tq
suspension:
15" subzeros(been wanting some wider meats for a while now)
koni yellows / coilovers
21mm/22mm sways
f/r strut bars
benen tophats
Exterior is pretty simple, just jdm headlights, amber corners & sidemarkers.
Some shaved stuff..
thanks!

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
June 2006

Winner: Kyle h.

Congratulations Kyle on winning ROTM for June! It has your taste in mods and quite a few people enjoy that... They let you know that by voting for you in June. Good luck with everything in the future for the Honda.

Kyle h. - I'll be 22 on June 28th.

Kyle h. - I really only drink water & beer. I suppose Orange soda is my favorite though.

Kyle h. - Animal House, Anchor Man & Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Kyle h. - Yea it's sweet, a lot of nice looking d-series!

Kyle h. - Excellent!

Kyle h. - Both, I just got a cat too. No dogs at the apartment...boooo.

Kyle h. - tacos.

Kyle h. - Recently moved to Northern Virginia, from Central PA.

Kyle h. - I am an Engineer at www.microwavetech.com.

Kyle h. - Good, meeting people on the same level as you, building something from the ground up (not really the ground, but you know..), and SPEED!
Bad, spending money on theft prevention, thinking about theft prevention, and finally theives!

Kyle h. - This one inparticular, right around a year now.

Kyle h - I always root for the underdog.

Kyle h - probably someone on honda-tech.

Kyle h - turbo of course, of course.

Kyle h - 194 and climbing.

Kyle h - A crappy 14.5 @ 98mph (room for improvement).

Kyle h - I'd like to break into the 11s while maintaining its steetability (doesn't everyone?).

Kyle h - I absolutley dread having anyone else touch my car. I stress out over taking it to a shop for inspection/emmissions.

Kyle h - Kept the wheels red, because it's a pita to polish these buggers!

Kyle h - 11 second comfortable riding street whip

Kyle h - My parents for letting me use their garge for so long, my girlfriend leeanne for putting up with me, my friends, dan, keith, brad, jt, and all of mt joy mafia, and anyone else I left out, turboforum.net, honda-tech's great search feature, and of course d-series.org's endless technical info! Search n00bs!!

Mod List
Kyle's 93 del sol si ~165k miles stock engine y8 tranny (blew up the z6 because of stripped pass side tranny mount holes)

d16z6 engine stock
turbonetics 60-1 t3 .48 a/r hot side
turbonetics wastegate 10-12psi
greddy bov
turbo kit is from vecco
replica drag turbo manifold
2.5" turbo back w/ cat and dynomax ultra flow muffler
accord struts up front, eibach springs all around
Dual piston ledged calipers w/ 11 prelude rotors
street tuned by yours truely w/ uberdata
194hp
14.5 @ Cecil County Drag Strip (Maryland) Crappy first time ever run on
street tires
oil cooler w/ remote mount filter

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
July 2006

Winner: 9295EJ-t

Congratulations Nick for annihilating the ROTM contest for July! It is a fantastic looking car and 77 others think the same! Great job and good luck with everything in the future for that civic.

9295EJ-t -wild cherry pepsi i guess

9295EJ-t -Office space, Fifth Element and The Rock

9295EJ-t - i voted for all of the previous winners, so i guess i like em all! its a fun little contest, and it also helps you relize that you have something that other people like, and it raises the cars self esteem! :lol:

9295EJ-t - feels good to know that i drive a pretty car.. ha!

D-Series Staff: What is your favorite type of animal?
9295EJ-t - dogs, i like the cute ones.. pugs and yorkies!

9295EJ-t - pizza... i already do that since i deliver it! lol

D-Series Staff: Where do you live? And do you like it?
9295EJ-t - Jacksonville Florida... its alright i guess.. maybe a lil too hot.. but there are some pretty ladies around here!

9295EJ-t - deliver pizza.. and i do a little custom fabrication on the side right now (i make downpipes, fix manifolds, exhaust, motor swaps/builds).. but i am in the proccess of getting a real welding job..

9295EJ-t - good: i have a lot of friends now, i always have something to do on saturday nights and i meet some pretty ladies!
bad: cops around here hate import drivers, im constantly spending all my money on my car and there are some idiots out there making a bad name for us all

9295EJ-t -3 years

9295EJ-t - my friend.. and Turbod16.com

9295EJ-t - some kid told me he saw a pic of my car on here.. and i had no idea why.. so i signed up and found the pic

9295EJ-t -mmm.. boost!

9295EJ-t -based on trap speeds and friends that i have raced, i would say 215whp and 180tq... but its unofficial ha ha!

9295EJ-t -[email protected] (2.56 60ft) :mad:

9295EJ-t - i want to get into the 12's...

9295EJ-t - i do my own work.. all of it.. and i use my common knowledge and friendly experience to help

9295EJ-t -buying a b16a... i would have had $1500 to spend on my d build...

9295EJ-t - rods pistons.. valvetrain.. suspension

9295EJ-t - plenty of friends who will never see this.. but all of d-series has been helpful!

Nick Garcia

exterior: 1995 EJ2 (DX)
99-00 Electron Blue Pearl
"Red on white" style tail lights (oem looked really goofy)
HX wheels (195 60's tires)

Interior: all origional interior (black and gray)

Suspension: Dropzone coilovers
Omni power LCAs in the rear
LS rear sway

Motor:
D16Z6 freshly rebuilt:
T04E 57 trim
RC550s
.5 bar spring
Uberdata
ARP headstuds
Felpro headgasket
Top Line Bearings
and OEM internals
Comp. Clutch Stage 2

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
August 2006

Winner: Juce91si

On behalf of the d-series.org staff and members we would like to congratulate you on winning the ride of the month for August. It was a close race all the way through to the end, so feel proud you came out on top! Here are a few questions D-series asked you to get to know a little more about you and your ride...

D-Series Staff: Do you have a website? If yes what is it?
Juce91si - no sir, but im always on www.winnipegheights.com

Juce91si - 22 years young

Juce91si - hmm..i prefer juice, but if i had to choose, id go with lime crush, or sprite.

Juce91si - too hard...heres three random ones.
dazed and confused
carlitos way
super troopers

Juce91si - this contest is great, i really like how it gives a chance for grassroots enthusiasts to have their car showcased, and have their hard work on display for fellow d-eries heads. definitely love all of the other winners, all well deserved.

Juce91si - absolutely great, feels like im accomplishing something, and people respect what ive done and am doing.

Juce91si - mm...ill say black panther, dark, sleek, and fast. :p

Juce91si - chicken fingers and sweet n sour sauce.

Juce91si - i live in winnipeg, aside from the cold, and the shitty ass streets, and relatively small population, and boredom, its what i call home.

Juce91si - im a supervisor at a call center haha.

Juce91si - meeting new people, learning new things, taking pride in what you do...
as for bad...i have to work hard for my money, then i have to spend it, then im left with little to no money.

Juce91si -4 long ass years!

Juice91si - coincidentally, my car came with one, so really, the decision was already made for me, plus, i like being the underdog.

Juice91si - researching mods for my d16a6 on h-t

Juice91si - SUSPENSION! i love corners.

Juice91si - umm, maybe 100? lol

Juice91si -
i havent been to the track, i dont need a piece of paper to tell me i run 17's
Juice91si - after the turbo a6, maybe low 14's if all goes well.

Juice91si - i do most of all my own work, my brother helps me out, and i learned by doing. some big jobs i take to my local speed shop, or a competent local honda guru.

Juice91si - most likely i would have skipped bolt ons and went straight to forced induction.

Juice91si - i have a semi built a6 and turbo kit waiting to be installed, and more chassis bracing hehe

Juice91si - most of all my brother and mother for support, and for working on my car when i was out with an ankle injury. also to jose quintanilla for hooking up a great deal on my paint and bodywork, and for treating me as a friend not just a customer, and i cant forget my friends always making fun of me for dumping piles of money into my car.

juice91si's 91 civic si
Exterior:
Bmw Black sapphire metallic paint
88-89 front bumper
diy amber/smoked corners and signals
shaved antennae
shaved rear wiper
shaved rear emblems
shaved rear key hole
ef9 tails
ef9 spoiler
ventshade window visors
mtec hyper white headlights
Interior:
crx dash swap
ITR shift boot
ITR shift knob
pilot motorsports short shifter
red stitched momo monte carlo steering wheel
momo steering hub
nrg quick release hub
custom embroidered "si" floor mats
stereo:
clarion HU
panasonic 6.5 speakers
alpine v12 amp
audiovox 10" sub
engine:
ractive header
ractive intake
msd ignition wires
iridium spark plugs
AEM underdrive pulley kit
dynomax exhaust
relocated battery (trunk)
DIY 4awg ground wires
ground strap
90-93 integra radiator
Supension:
AMR engineering full coilovers, custom rates, revalved
Function/form rear lcas
Ractive front upper strut bar
Wheels:
Enkei racing s 15x6.5 +32
GT radial champiro 50 195/50r15
Rays engineering short closed ended lug nuts

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
September 2006
Winner: Jimmyb34

Congratulations Jimmy your ride is fantastic and deserve this months ROTM! I know you have a lot of plans for it in the future, however it is a great accomplishment that you won with out your car being finished to your liking. Congratulations again and we hope you finish your car soon.

jimmyb34 - Don't have one.

jimmyb34 - I am 22 years old.

jimmyb34 - I would have to say Mountain Dew.

jimmyb34 -Talladega Nights, Old School, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

jimmyb34 -I think it is a GREAT contest and gets out that you don't have to swap to have a nice car. All of the previous ROTM winners have awesome cars. I'm glad to be grouped in with them.

jimmyb34 -IT feels nice. Can't wait to see the hatch on the front page!

jimmyb34 -I would have to say a dog.

jimmyb34 -Cheese and mayo sanwiches.

D-Series Staff: Where do you live? And do you like it?I live in Ohio. i like it in late spring, summer, and early fall.... otherwise it sucks lol.
jimmyb34 -

D-Series Staff: What do you do to support this costly habit?I am an employee at Cabela's Distribution Center.
jimmyb34 -

jimmyb34 -3 good things would be the people I meet, doing something I enjoy, and being able to help many people on online forums such as www.d-series.org.
3 bad things would be spending all of my money, never being able to decide what to do, and living in an area of Ohio that has NO scene.

jimmyb34 - I've had my eg since January of 2006

jimmyb34 -When I bought the car it already had the jdm zcvtec swap and si tranny (cx hatch model) and it was pretty quick out of the box. Plus swapping is as expensive as a decent turbo setup.

jimmyb34 -ej1freak saved me from hondatech when I made a thread about a gsrswap into an 99 civic coupe

jimmyb34 -Motor wise definitely my cam and street tune, exterior wise I would have to say my wheels.

jimmyb34 -I'm guessing around 130-140 whp, have not been to a dyno yet.

jimmyb34 -When i first got the car I hit a 16.1 @89 mph with a 2.5 60 foot.... it is DEFINITELY faster than that, I'm guessing high 14's are possible.

jimmyb34 -I'm shooting for low 12's or high 11's at least.

jimmyb34 -Everything has either been done by me or 5speed4life, he has done the cam install and tune.
Everything else is just bolt ons. Turning a wrench isn't hard lol.

jimmyb34 -I would say the loud exhaust. It doesn't bother me to much but now i do alot of driving and the drone kills me in a stripped interior.

jimmyb34 -I'm currently trying to find another daily so i can tear it down for a 300-400 whp turbo build, get some carbon, and HOPEFULLY paint it over winter.

jimmyb34 - I'd just like to thank everyone who voted for me and everyone who has helped me on the site when I have had some questions to ask!

1993 Honda Civic CX
Motor:
jdm zc vtec (d16)
AEM Short ram
Megan Racing 4-2-1 header
Megan Racing testpipe
Megan Racing Drift SPec exhaust
Exospeed Stage 3 cam
AEM adj. cam gear set at 2* advanced
Chipped P28 with Crome PRo and datalogging
NGK wideband af gauge
Si tranny
Exedy Stage 1 clutch
Suspension:
Ominipower Sleeve coilovers
Camber kits front and rear
Exterior:
Rota GT-3 16" with 215/40 Falken Ziex 512's
Mugen style front lip
JDM style foglights
d-series.org and SAVE THE SOHC'S stickers lol
JDM yellow H4 bulbs
Interior:
Ex gauge cluster
JDM integra type r shift boot
Mugen shift knob
Kenwood head unit
Push button start
Backseat, jack, and spare all removed
Future plans are one hell of a turbo build, cf hood, hatch, duckbill, amber corners, jdm headlights, mugen sideskirts, type r rear lip... all hoping to come soon!

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
October 2006
Winner: mwsol96

Congratulations on winning the 2nd annual October ROTM! You have a very clean SOHC del sol and should be proud of it! You answered a few standard questions that we sent to you... here is what you had to say.

mwsol96 -none

mwsol96 - 20

mwsol96 - Mountain Dew

mwsol96 - Lucky # Sleven, Euro Trip, Office Space.

mwsol96 - There have been some really nice cars go through the ROTM, and I can't wait to see the calender. I like the contest.

mwsol96 - Good.

mwsol96 - Probably a cats.

mwsol96 - Taco Bell.

mwsol96 - I live in Oklahoma. It's okay, but a little dull as far as d-series goes.

mwsol96 - Worked and slept through school. Currently no money because of no job and college. So until the next job, no more modifications.

mwsol96 - For about four years.

mwsol96 - Cost and readily available parts.

mwsol96 - Through a local site, www.ok-speed.com.

mwsol96 - Installing a turbocharger was a high point... But getting the car to where it is now took a lot of time and searching for the right parts.

mwsol96 - I'm going to estimate around 150, with 6 pounds of boost. But until I get to a dynometer I will not know for sure.

mwsol96 - 15.1 @ 91 MPH, with a 2.3 60'. Still need some more time at the track.

mwsol96 - I dunno. I just want it to keep on working.

mwsol96 - I do my own work. Sometimes with the help of friends aswell. I do most my research on d-series, or honda-tech.com.

mwsol96 - Installing altezzas and neons when I first started to modify my car. It was a waste of money when I could have been saving up for the turbo or something that actually propels the car.

mwsol96 - Soon enough: head studs, 3.0 bar map sensor and a tune. Then later in life do a build with a decent sized turbo.

mwsol96 - I want to thank Paul (slebidia), for helping me out with all the tuning needs. He is what made the turbo possible from beginning to end. Another great help was Jeremy cox. He has spotted me his garage for a night sometimes when we lowered and installed my clutch and tranny each time. I would also like to thank my parents for housing the car, and all of my friends for help when I needed and support through all of the harrassments of driving a Del sol.

The car has Velox VX-8R wheels, with Falken Azenis 512 rubber. The car has a partial greddy kit consisting of manifold, turbo, and elbow. The exhaust is a 2.5" downpipe and 2.25 exhaust, with a Tanabe Super Racing Medalion muffler. From the turbo I'm using 4 ply silicone couplers, and 2" mandrel bent charge pipes that I cut to fit with a Johnny Race Car 6" intercooler. The intake of the turbo is a 2.5" piece that I cut to fit with a K&N filter. The engine is controlled by crome in a p05 ecu with RC 550cc injectors. Suspension consists of KYB AGX adjustable struts with Ground Control coil-overs an a adjustable camber kit, while a "mugen" front strut tower brace is under the bonnet. The exteriour includes a carbon fiber hood and a shaved front bumper with colormatched side skirts.

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
November 2006
Winner: snoopy006

Congratulations Jay on winning the Ride of the Month for November fisical year 2. Sorry it took so long to get you on the front page of d-series.org, but it was worth the wait. Your car is unique to your style and d-seriesr's noticed and liked that. Congratulations again on the win.

snoopy006 - no

snoopy006 - 23

snoopy006 - mountain dew

snoopy006 - advent children, spriggan, internal affairs

snoopy006 - they are great and have awesome rides, yes

snoopy006 - like getting exactly what u want on christmas

snoopy006 - dog

snoopy006 - chinese food

snoopy006 - atco,NJ yes

snoopy006 - sell my body-- business is real slow

snoopy006 - almost 2 years

snoopy006 - the original plan was a b, then after searching I decided to stick with a d

snoopy006 - searching around the internet

snoopy006 - turbo

snoopy006 - 183whp

snoopy006 - 13.9

snoopy006 - hopefully 12s

snoopy006 - i do as much as i can do in my driveway and what i cant do i take to some one else-- alot of reading and searching and asking questions

snoopy006 - underground neon lights waste of money

snoopy006 - build up the motor bigger turbo go faster

snoopy006 -Everyone on d-series especially Rexinre, Vtecduck, Ryan89crx for answering all my questions and helpin me when ever they could. Mods and Hellhatch to.

93 dx sedan
d16y8
5 speed
crower stg1 cam
skunk2 2.5" exhaust
greddy 15g turbo
johnny racecar intercooler
2.5" ic pipping
tial blow off vavle
550 rc injectors
del sol rims

1 - 14 of 14 Posts