Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been on google cant just find the answer
ive got z6 head with roller bearings rockers (strange) so guessing its a z1 z8 cam dont no on that as this been done coz its better or do i need to throw it in bin

going on high torque engine

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But on reserch the cam is more curved and more lift i can see at low rvs less as only running on 12v but when on 16v at high revs wont it be better

·
Registered
95 Posts
IIRC vtec-e in. lift is 0.1mm less, than the low z6/y8 lobe, less duration, too. So until 3k, only one intake valve is open (to create swirl and increase air velocity) and it is using a cam lobe with less lift/duration. After 3k, it just hooks up the second set of valves, while with z6/y8, both intake valves are switching to even higher lobe. So the answer is - no, it's not better - not with the current cam. A custom cam can be made, but prior switching from 12 to 16V, said engine will make less power, compared to stock z6/y8. So if yo want all around power and you are not doing high rpm ONLY, race engine, don't bother with the vtec-e.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC vtec-e in. lift is 0.1mm less, than the low z6/y8 lobe, less duration, too. So until 3k, only one intake valve is open (to create swirl and increase air velocity) and it is using a cam lobe with less lift/duration. After 3k, it just hooks up the second set of valves, while with z6/y8, both intake valves are switching to even higher lobe. So the answer is - no, it's not better - not with the current cam. A custom cam can be made, but prior switching from 12 to 16V, said engine will make less power, compared to stock z6/y8. So if yo want all around power and you are not doing high rpm ONLY, race engine, don't bother with the vtec-e.
hi yes its a race engine need power 3500rpm to flat out

daft question how can i tell if its been machined

trying to get my head round why someone go to all this trouble to fit it

·
Registered
95 Posts
Race cam, for the vtec-e rocker arm assy. could make more power than z6/y8 ONLY after 5-6-7krpm, depending on how crazy the lobe is. Under 5k, it will be a complete dog.
And it's really not that hard to do vtec-e rocker arm assy/cam, on a z6/y8 head casting. Just swap it, there is no need to remove the head from the engine. I am using the opposite combination - d15z8(vtec-e) head casting, z6 rocker arm assembly/z6 aftermarket cam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks looks like im takeing head of other engine then as i know thats a d15b just the lobe look wider slope so was thinking be open longer = more fuel

·
Registered
830 Posts
I used this cam and rockers on a y8 head with vtec locked and well meh..

less friction on the lobes maybe gain longevity..
not worth the 2 hours it took to swap over unless the cam gets a regrind .

also you are sure its a z6 head .whats the casting ..?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts