Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching and was reading people saying that roller rockers would disable VTEC but i do not understand why.
From what I recall my valve train has roller rockers (D16Y8 VTEC).
So why could you not have rocker arms with bigger diameter rollers on them to ride the cam lobe thus pushing the valve open further and allowing more air in and out.
why can't we do this??? This would be one of my favorite mods to do.

I did this on my LT1 97 Z28 Camaro it made a nice difference...

However the shit i was reading was very old and i didn't find any new info so maybe there is something I am unaware of now...

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Your Y8 does not have roller rockers.

Further more, rocker pads make the rocker arm geometry variable.

Not the case for roller rockers. A new cam profile will be required.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok, im just learning. so let me ask. why my cam on my LT1 was fine?
I only went from stock 1.5mm to 1.6mm rocker.

And I will check under my vc again and be sure because honestly i couldn't remember but i red that VTEC engines have the rollers. guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. But you would think if its put in forum someone would correct them.

correct me if i am wrong about the rocker arms.
they are rollers on the cam side but not on the stem side. so if we could have rollers on the stem side it would reduce friction and increase power and if you have a roller that will open valves longer and maintain good valve train geometry then you could gain even more power

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Z1, Y5, and B5(D16) have rollers. They are VTEC-E, not VTEC. You can't just put bigger rollers in them.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
couldn't you have a profile figured out for roller geometries? D16 rocker arm assemblies aren't getting any newer and more aren't being made, we'll have to switch at some point.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, man and my v8 was totally different because you have push rods and the rocker arms bolted down in th center and this was where valve lash wash adjusted.
so for us to have rollers on the stem would be near impossible because there would be nowhere to adjust valve lash.
However i do not see why we cant have rollers on the cam side and still maintain VTEC.
I remember now that my rockers kinda looked like a sled on the bottom instead of rollers. thanks for correcting me.
so rollors would improve our setup.
now the question is how can we make it happen.
because the less weight and friction a valve train has the better it performs

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I've been waiting to see a roller mod,

I have a Z6 head laying around, anyone have a set of rollers for sale?

I don't see why you can't just regrind a cam profile to work with the different rockers, maybe even a new billet.

I'm hoping as I get older, these engines will start being reproduced at a larger, more affordable rate, similar to the Chevy scene.

·
Registered
650 Posts
ok, man and my v8 was totally different because you have push rods and the rocker arms bolted down in th center and this was where valve lash wash adjusted.
so for us to have rollers on the stem would be near impossible because there would be nowhere to adjust valve lash.
However i do not see why we cant have rollers on the cam side and still maintain VTEC.
??HUH??

Rollers are on the cam side of the rocker arm. That's where they ride, on the cam. A roller at your valve stem would be a bad idea, because if it's off by little more than microns, you're going to bend the stem, or fk up the rocker, or something else of that nature.

The rollers are designed to ROLL on the cam.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
You cannot use a standard D series cam with the roller rockers, you have to use a roller cam. The profiles are completely different. The OEM roller rockers are not performance oriented.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
??HUH??

Rollers are on the cam side of the rocker arm. That's where they ride, on the cam. A roller at your valve stem would be a bad idea, because if it's off by little more than microns, you're going to bend the stem, or fk up the rocker, or something else of that nature.

The rollers are designed to ROLL on the cam.
im telling you my lt1 has hydraulic lifters with rollers on the cam and then roller rockers that ride on the valve stems. fo sure
see this pic is the LT1. the back of the rocker is controlled by a pushrod. under the feeler guage is the valve stem and above is the roller bearing. great mod for the chevy's... it woul be nice if we could do this to our cars.

and i even said rollers on the stem for us could prolly not be done. i just wanted someone to confirm. I also said our rollers are on the cam. so i don't know why you quoted me like that. HUH???
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
196 Posts
yes, most modern v8s have hydraulic roller lifters. You are confusing the rocker and lifters. In push rod motors they are 2 separate things. The rollers on D series are more liken to roller lifters on a v8 rather then a roller rocker. On a D the "lifter" and rocker are the same thing. D series also have what would be considered on a push rod motor a "solid lift" cam as there are no hydro valve adjusters. Some ohc motors have these like the ford 2.3

·
Registered
650 Posts
im telling you my lt1 has hydraulic lifters with rollers on the cam and then roller rockers that ride on the valve stems. fo sure
see this pic is the LT1. the back of the rocker is controlled by a pushrod. under the feeler guage is the valve stem and above is the roller bearing. great mod for the chevy's... it woul be nice if we could do this to our cars.

and i even said rollers on the stem for us could prolly not be done. i just wanted someone to confirm. I also said our rollers are on the cam. so i don't know why you quoted me like that. HUH???
The way you described it was a little confusing. The picture helped. I don't see the point in doing that, on any engine, though. That's not a part that should see any back and forth movement. I would think that would cause a weak spot in the valve train.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not hydraulic lifters, I see pushrods, they are roller rockers though. My 5MGE had hydraulic lifters.
the pushrod runs down into the block and is sitting on a hydraulic lifter.

remember this is not overhead cam. it needs push rods and lifters. solid or hydraulic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The way you described it was a little confusing. The picture helped. I don't see the point in doing that, on any engine, though. That's not a part that should see any back and forth movement. I would think that would cause a weak spot in the valve train.
not only does it reduce friction they are made from lightweight material and when you reduce weight and friction u know its a great thing and u cant go wrong.
but the lt1 stock rocker setup is very bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, most modern v8s have hydraulic roller lifters. You are confusing the rocker and lifters. In push rod motors they are 2 separate things. The rollers on D series are more liken to roller lifters on a v8 rather then a roller rocker. On a D the "lifter" and rocker are the same thing. D series also have what would be considered on a push rod motor a "solid lift" cam as there are no hydro valve adjusters. Some ohc motors have these like the ford 2.3
no i get it. i was just explaining the roller on the stem does work and is used in other engines so why not ours.
but you dont think if these were lighter and roller that it would help?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The roller on the tip on push rod motors is more for when you are running heavy valve springs, it helps stop wear on the valve tips and rocker tips. There are not really any gains to be had there with the light weight valve train on a d. On a push rod motor you get the most gains from the trunnion bearings being rollerized. There is a lot of friction on normal oe ball and stud type rockers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I gues the valve geometry on the ohc is way different then a uhc.
as the angle of the ohc rocker is mor in line with the stem and is acting more like an extension and not really causing friction (correct?)
But i still wonder if there are not some gains to be had by improving the rockers. i don't have the ability to make a rocker myself lol

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Because we are OHC engines, and an old push rod is not OHC design. They do the same job but very diferently.

EDIT: someone beat me to it

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
on the v8's the rocker moves back and forth on the stem which causes friction when you remove that friction 16 times you improve your valvetrain and have a better power curve. the back and forth motion can be shown on this valve stem that had wear from a oem rocker arm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts