Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any rods out there that dont need the block notched?? im going to be putting together a turbo d16z6 motor pretty soon and i need to know what i need the machine shop to do to the block other then sleeving, im putting this motor together at school so i have all he proper tools plus instructors that also know what they are doing so i have no problem with anything else. thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but if there are any rods out there that dont require notching i would rather get those, ill have fewer worries that way on wether i did it right.

P

·
0 Posts
You might want to look into manley rods, they don't require notching.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone reccomend "crower econo billets" for a turbo application?? how much power can these hold and do you think ill have to notch the block with them??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn, anyone else know of any cheap rods that dont nrequire notching the block?? or am i going to have to notch, i've decided on the crower econo-billets so far, so if i dont have to notch that would be great

J

·
0 Posts
Why do you not want to notch your block? Is there a downside to it that I do not know about?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cause im doing the actual assembly of it, only reason i want to take it to a machine shop really is to clean it and hone it if i dont get it sleeved, and from past experience im not good with grinders.

O

·
0 Posts
then hjave then notch it too. hell man, the eagle rods are only $320-$350 a set. crowers are like $600_ a set. you do the math. you'r willign to spend almsot 2x's the cost fo the eagles just to not to have the shop notch the block? it woudl cost you like what? $85-$100? common man. stop being cheap. else get the crowers. and not the econos.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i thought the eagles were copied after the econo-billets, econo billets are in the same price range as eagles anyways, plus econo-billets are probobly alot better anyways, or so i've heard

O

·
0 Posts
No the econos only support up to like 450-500hp (hence the econo) the eagles have see 1000+hp on them. And no the eagles have been copied by several other makers but were the first "import" H" beem rod on the sceene

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was not aware of that, i thought they can both handle up to 600 HP. oh well.

O

·
0 Posts
nope i've seen the econo's break at 500hpa tthe crank more than one. It's not pretty to see a nice turbo motor suddenlt go from a gorgeous pwoercurve of 0-504 hp then suddenly BAM! , CLANG the car studders and screams to a hult. the end result on oneof the cars was , twisted crank shaft, broken axel, shatters input shaft onthe trans, broken rod and busted block with destryoed head. why all this? as soonas he hot 504 under FULL load, the rod snapped. the piston was loost anc came down into wher the crank is and jamped the crank in mid cycle. inturn it caused the engine to imedeatly stop and the dyno drumm was still spinning. it tore the insode of the trany uo, and ruined an axel a s well as the input shaft due tot he motor dead locked. the motor wa gone. nothing was salvageable except the vales sprinsg and cams.

O

·
0 Posts
eagles have been seen to handle a lot more power and are still less expensive i believe than the crower units, anyways, it's your motor, you make your own choice and good luck with it either way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts