Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rods and pistons combo q's

Ok so I'm p much a complete novice when it comes to engine building. Trying to learn by building a d-series with my buddy and had a question. Why can't you just use stock press fit wrist pins with bushed rods.
I'm sure I will get shit on so I've put rain jacket on , bring it on. But seriously just looming for some learning.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so idk what happened but i wanted to edit my original post but i was unable to, so i am posting it again with the edit.
so I'm p much a complete novice when it comes to engine building. Trying to learn by building a d-series with my buddy and had a question. Why can't you just use stock press fit wrist pins with bushed rods.
I have ls rods for my build and if I bush the rods can I use the stock pm6 pistons and press fit wrist pins?
thanks and sorry again for the awkward repost

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
The bushings themselves are pressed into the rods and then pressing something else into that makes it more likely to have movement or become completely dislodged. It would be best to use floating pistons with bushed rods.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did not know he pm'd you.
He and I are working a build together yes, but I am personally asking this and trying to educate my own self it just so happens that we have similar queries.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Just thought it was odd to be PM'd a question by someone else on the forum and then a different member ask the same question... the same day... not that it bothers me, just odd is all so that's why I asked.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup makes , sense.
Subsequently I was curious as to if you had any idea where to locate GX pistons 01-03 more specifically, it seems almost impossible to locate online

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, but apparently these are discontinued, will continue to look. But any info on the original question would be much appreciated.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
free floating rods typically use a bronze bushing for the wrist pin . . . since press-fit rods don't have clearance with the pin, they are usually some type of 1000 series steel.

The steel bushings aren't really made for the friction that comes from the rotation of the pin which is why the free-floating ones are made from bronze which absolutely is an alloy that is considerably wear-resistant and has its own lubrication properties above and beyond the splash of oil they get.

I don't know if I would run a set of press-fit rods, ream/hone them out for a floating clearance on the pin, without an EDM hole to feed it pressurized oil from the rod bearing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts