Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was pulling a d16 and noticed a hole in top of the oil pan. I thought, no big deal at least the Rod didn't go through the block.
As I pulled off A/C condenser I noticed a hole in the Block.

I am planning on buying a block that's been bored .5 over.

When I install old head onto machine bored block, anyone think the head is still all good and running fine?
I plan on having the head worked a lil anyway, or as cheap as they are buy a rebuilt one.
But just use old head at first to test out new bored block/bottom end and some other bolt ons.

So anyone ever slung rod, got new block and just thrown old head back on and old head run fine? or anyone had head damage/extreme stress from block malfunctions?

Reactions: runvegas

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
So I was pulling a d16 and noticed a hole in top of the oil pan. I thought, no big deal at least the Rod didn't go through the block.
As I pulled off A/C condenser I noticed a hole in the Block.

I am planning on buying a block that's been bored .5 over.
Wrong.
Get a block and have it bored for whatever pistons you have, not the other way around.

If the head isnt damaged, you can put it on the new bottom end. Mostly check for bent valves.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ye, i ran a head on a mini me that came from a busted bottom end, didnt even skim it, all flat and within spec, all good :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full Tilt -The block i'm buying already has been bored and comes with the pistons and rods and bolts, i just have to buy rings, gaskets, etc.
I could buy a standard block yeah and use my current pistons, but I'm interested to see what lil gain i get from the extra displacement and I don't know yet if my current pistons are still any good, Have to get a new block anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jj05y- I figure it will all be good.
I'm interested in seeing what slight displacement will gain. I am planning on doing some head work, staying with y7 non-vtec and maybe modifying the head or something.
Might shave it down a bit for some low end power. dunno what i'll play with internally yet since I'm still deciding natural aspiration, turbo, or supercharger.

I like natural aspiration but will have to see if I can get the bored y7 to about 145-160 at wheels , naturally aspirated.
Don't want to spend a ton of machine/parts money on y7 head though, if I just can't reach that much power, then could of spent that money on turbo.
But I'D love to build a N/A y7 non-vtec that won't be considered, "JUST ANOTHER Y7."

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
full tilt, thanks for the info. lol wow that is such a low gain i guess that' why I always read it's not worth it for that engine. You positive about only 1hp? no chance it's 10-15?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
was going to check or tune valves and and minor things to head at fist just to see how and if new bottom will run fine. My big debate is 4-1 or 4-2-1 header, 4-1 higher range gains but Found a good 50 dollar deal on a good condition heddman 4-2.

How much low end power gain will i notice from shaving head a moderate amount?

later going with bigger ported intake mani and bigger throttle body. or itb? wonder what a strong y7 itb is producing?

might try like aem fuel rail, injectors, high flow fuel pump and fuel regulator...or will all this fuel stuff even gain me 5-10hp before I play with head internals.? or will those fuel adjustments only gain me like 3 hp? I'd play with ecu settings and fuel eventually before daily drivn.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i knew boring was for that tw34k, but block i found just so happened to be bored. I'd rather not have that block and keep it with 1.6 ltr just honed to manufacturer specs at least. But since it is bored i was just curious how much hp i would gain from the displacement.
I am considering not going with this block because it has been bored and maybe the block will now be weaker? is coming with forged, stronger pistons and rods and studs. I will buy strong rings and maybe stronger bearings, in case i turbo later, but how do y'all feel about boring .5 weakening the dblock? or does it seem fine?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and before bored larger this block would've had higher compression. But I need a block and tired of waiting so I might just go with it

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Youre boring 0.5mm, that is tiny.
If the engine is making 100 whp at 1590cc and you bore it 0.5mm over, it will then be 1612cc. That means it gains 22cc from boring over.

(100whp/1590cc)*22cc = 1.38 whp

As for your other questions, search.
Lots of people have made decent power on the cheap with head milling and good cams. Theres lots of info, you just gotta look.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ended up ordering a sohc zc non vtec

1 - 13 of 13 Posts