Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just would like to ask if these are any good...if anyone has tried them out..
I've been lookin around for some main bearings & rod bearings & want a good set that can hold up with boost..
(I'm trying to avoid buying from Honda...their expensive!)
(also I'ma try the nippon pistons they got.)
let me know...heres the links:

main bearings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-CIVIC-ZC-D16-MAIN-BEARINGS-CRX-SI-SIR_W0QQitemZ110001894754QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46098QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rod bearings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-CIVIC-ZC-D16-CRX-ROD-BEARINGS-CRX-SI-SIR_W0QQitemZ110001894986QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46098QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and also...(while im on the topic of nippon)
if you wouldn't mind me asking,(I was just lookin)
what would be the difference between these two..pistons.?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC-DOHC-ZC-TURBO-DELSOL-D15-CRX-PISTONS-JDM-D16-SI_W0QQitemZ110001891503QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33623QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TURBO-PISTONS-CIVIC-D16-SOHC-DOHC-ZC-NEW-FREE-SHIP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26261QQihZ007QQitemZ9515967371QQrdZ1
these say FULL FLOATING PIN....

which one would I need for TT's or eagles....

(srry for the lot questions.)-(tryin to clear my build up)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok...sorry to post again,I just keep on editing on that 1st one...
but heres what I found on the pistons: (off the internet)

"Full floating wrist pins do not need to be pressed into the piston or the rod. they are held in place on either side of the piston by snap rings on the ends. It's preferred because the wrist pin is not locked in place - it has a "bearing surface" with both the rod and the piston. They last longer and they're easier to put together."

so the full floating pistons is a yes?

but still....what about the bearings?
-Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
I need to know if those bearings are good too, I've been looking for bearings for 3 months! what is the deal with the colors honda rates bearings by? couldnt I just buy a set of nippon, or ACL's and plasti gauge them? I heard somthing about different oil passages for different 'colors'???

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
stay away from OEM Honda supplied Glacier Vanderbuilts, they are JUNK, and only thing Honda stocks now.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
transzex said:
stay away from OEM Honda supplied Glacier Vanderbuilts, they are JUNK, and only thing Honda stocks now.
Wow I thought OEM was the way to go. So what brand would you recommend??

·
Registered
537 Posts
We have always used OEM Honda Bearings. Never ACL or any of the "Universal" sized bearings on all race and street motors.

The colors on the OEM Honda bearings represent the sizes of each bearing. You can measure your crank, mains, and rods to find out the clearance you need so that your parts will have the right clearance. You can adjust that clearance by putting in the appropriate size/color bearing.

When you dont measure and just drop in the "Universal" sized bearings, you can be tighter on some and looser on others. Not the best way to build an engine. The perfect scenario is to have the clearances you want for all of them to match.

Also, keep in mind that oem rods, aftermarket rods, diff engine blocks and cranks are all different sizes. You cant assume that every block and crank will measure the same. Different aftermarket rods also have their tolerances of how they machine their rods. We've found Eagles are in the high middle range of quality so you have to compensate by adjusting the sizes/colors to get the right fit. Higher end rods such as Carrillo and custom Cunningham rods have them BEST machining and they are always exactly on the dot. Machining is VERY consistent and best rods to work with. Then you have the lower end of the spectrum, the no name rods that you see out there priced below the name brand rods. Those measure the worst, you never know what you are going to get. Machining on those are inconsistent and you can be using so many different sizes of bearings to make them fit to your desired clearances. I can only imagine how the clearances are if you use those along with "Universal" bearing kits.

cliff notes: Use OEM Bearings

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
The reason people say don't use ACL's is beacuse a long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was a fucktard that threw ACL's in his engine without at least plastigaging them. Then the idiot came on a website similar to this and said "DA ACL's bahrings I boughtz done fuckzored mah motah up!!!1111!!!11".

I'm using ACL's and so are plenty others. But since they are one size fits all I had my crank ground 0.010" (and ordered oversized bearings) to ensure that I had the right amount of clearance on each main. After plastigaging 3 of the 5 were exactly the same and within spec. 1 of the 5 was slightly more loose but still within spec and the other was a little tighter but still within spec.

I wouldn't use ACL's without touching the crank though. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so we got one guy that says use honda....one guy that says dont use honda,
one guy use acl.....& it keeps going on & on,

I'm not sure what I'm going to go with as of right now....
but still...nobodys answered my questions...

but thanks all for the info,(info changes my mind) :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
Everyone has their own opinions of course. I'm just sharing ours as engine builders. We've had plenty of motors that come to us, bad builds with ACL bearings.

Like Mindless said, If you use Universal sized bearings like ACLs, you have to adjust the clearance by Grinding down the crank to make them fit. The thing with that is, your taking material away from the crank and its best not to do that if Possible.

The last resort is to take material off the block or crank. Its never the best idea to do that first. So thats the reason you want to get SIZED bearings from HONDA as the first option.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not that anybody would know right off,
but that ebay auction says honda oem bearings cost 219$...
does anyone know a range of what they would cost....
I just called my honda yesterday about timing belt/head gasket/ext...
(so I'm not wanting to keep on them about how much is this & that....)
(if anyone would know a range ~about...)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
RandysSOHC said:
not that anybody would know right off,
but that ebay auction says honda oem bearings cost 219$...
does anyone know a range of what they would cost....
I just called my honda yesterday about timing belt/head gasket/ext...
(so I'm not wanting to keep on them about how much is this & that....)
(if anyone would know a range ~about...)
i got my oem bearings for somewhere around 150. that was the rods and main bearings, regular price at the dealership.

·
Registered
636 Posts
OEM honda all the way ! they last and they fit !!..
in an engine there is NO one size fits all

1 - 20 of 48 Posts