3 .002
4 .002

main bearing clearances

1 .003
2 .003
3 .003/.004
4 .003
5 .003/.004

how do these clearances look this is a d16y8. power goal 300whp dd thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
rods bearing clearances

1 .002
2 .002
3 .002
4 .002

main bearing clearances

1 .003
2 .003
3 .003/.004
4 .003
5 .003/.004

how do these clearances look this is a d16y8. power goal 300whp dd thanks for any help
Looks loose for sure. I think .002 is a better number for the mains.

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eagal h beams with 2000 arp bolts torqued to 23 ft lb. rods bearings

and mains are step 1 18 step two 38 fl lb does that sound right. thanks again

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The specs that I posted are within spec but maxed out. but still in spec i was thinking that it would be ok since I was going to be boosed. And seeing pretty good power.

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bolts I have should be torqued to 47ft lb.'s not 23 would that make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
YES! torque everything to the SPECIFIC torque the manufacture of the PART says.

get tighter bearings. the clearance between the crank and rod is very very important, you will spin a bearing if it is too much clearance between the two because it will not have proper oil pressure.

incase you didnt know, the rod is suppose to be sitting on a oil film and not on the actual crank journal itself. so with that clearance being too much, thats when the bearing will start to contact the crank journal and thats when you wear out your bearings. which is another reason why proper lubrication in ANY motor with ANY set up is very very important.

did you check your ring gaps on your set up?
did you make sure you have enough piston to wall clearance?
what oil are you planning on running? and how much power are you wanting to make?

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300whp no I have to have my machine shop set my ptw clearance. Then I have to set my ring gap.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
have you built a motor before?

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have rebuilt d15b2. And still runs with no problems/worked on dirt bikes and all kinds of motors. King bearing. I redid the rods torqued to 47ft lg and got tiny bit tighter then .001

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have rebuilt d15b2. And still runs with no problems/worked on dirt bikes and all kinds of motors. King bearing. I redid the rods torqued to 47ft lg and got tiny bit tighter then .001
there you go :). what is the actual reading?

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't really get it but it's just a tiny bit past .001 now what about my mains how do they look. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
im with the other guy, i would get your mains to be closer to .002.... so that might just mean getting a new set of main bearings to get the clearances right.

if you really want to, get the numbers and letters off the block and crank, get the color and get oem bearings. they really can take a lot of abuse... but they are more expensive.

·
Registered
honda civic
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm doing this build right. I'm going to redo the main tomorrow and if they need bigger bearings then that's what I'm going to do. thanks for all the help. Rep for everybody

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
I'm with everyone...the mains are loose for sure. You need the mains tighter because the oil flows from the oil pump, to the mains, through the crank, and to the rods. If the mains are loose and the oil blows past the bearing and doesn't sit in the channel to flow to the rods then there will not be enough pressure at the rod and bad things will happen...

Rods look good tho.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but you sound like you're doing the right thing.
Mains are definately too loose. It is good to be a little loose on a turbo motor, but that's more to do with piston to wall clearance and ring gap.
I would set the bearing clearance to the middle of the spec at all possible. When I build my last motor I was at .0015 and .002 on all the bearings. I went with factory bearings too, because you can get the different sizes. I used the numbers on the crank and block to get things tits.
Good luck, let us know how it goes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts