Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to try and make my d16y7 last until I had my b16 built but the day I srtipped down the b16 block for the machine shop, my d starts knocking. I need to rebuild fast, so no piecing together the b16 now. I was thinking i would have the y7 block and head hot tanked, checked and possibly bored .20 over. I want to stay na but im not pouring money into the d right now. Would boring .20 over alone benefit me or is it pointless? I plan on a bisi stage 1 or 2 at some point if i sell the b16. I found this rebuild kit, what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-1-6-Honda-Civic-VTEC-D16Y5-D16Y7-D16Y8-Engine-Kit_W0QQitemZ260309522695QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260309522695&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72:543|65:12|39:1|240:1318

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
I always Refer people that Want to Rebuild their Engines to get it from FjDistributors.com because I haven't Heard not one Complaint from them....
I've Heard a Couple on them Ebay Kits....

It depends what happened inside your y7 with the Knocking to Over Bore. Have you opened it to see what's causing it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was looking into this kit as well and ended up purchasing the kit from FJ. Good pricing and much better parts provided IMO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Awesome.

I hope you don't drive on that for long. My rod blew a hole in my engine in a matter of a month after finding out my bearings were gone.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove EASY today only, found out yesterday. no more though. I have a danger ranger and my wife's scion to get from a to b. pullin motor mon. Just trying to decide to bore or not? Will I gain hp with boring .20?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You will gain some compression. So yea, it might add some hp. But everything should be pulled first to determine if you need to bore or not. That is, unless you want to anyways.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
why not just add a lil oil and drive it until the b16 is done? why waste the money, effort and time if the motors going to be coming out anyway? my boys spun bearing b7 lasted a good 7 months before he swapped it out. i also met another kid with a single y8 who put around 15k on his motor. it lasted until he did a 20 mins burnout lol.

as long as your not beating on it it should last.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think im just going to build the d and sell the b. I will save 1500 to 2k by doing so. Thanks for the input, I will do a write up, take some pix, and make a build thread when possible

1 - 15 of 15 Posts