Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i got a d15b7 and i just started to get a slight knock around 4k. Its not loud, but you can just start to hear it while driving. My question is do you think i could just buy new rod and crank bearings and swap them out once i get the color code? Or will i have to resurface the crank and stuff? I'm trying to get a cheap reliable build, and if all i gotta do is switch the bearings out, than i will, but if its more than that you think i should just get another block? I probably can come across a lot locally... But i just know a nice rebuilt bottom end would be more worth it in the long run, this is just my first time doing it so I'm still kinda learning about disassembling the crank and stuff. Appreciate the help guys!http:wacko:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that too. Its my daily driver, so i don't want it sitting around for a while, but i did have the idea of swapping another block in and rebuilding that one, but I'm still unsure. Anyone know how long of a process this would take, i saw a DIY on it, but he made it look like cake, and i know its not that difficult, but i don't know if i need to take measurements or anything like that.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Once you hear knock, a Honda crank has been damaged. Putting new bearings in may or may not quiet things, but the knock will return in a few thousand miles.

PS - you can grind the journals of a Honda crank, despite internet rumor. The surface hardening doesn't matter. That said, it's almost always cheaper to find a good used crank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts