Honda D Series Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
do u think it would be possible to design a D that has a 11.0 :1 CR that can run on 87 octane, and runs well to boot? Or is that a physical imposibility?

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I never try it and I don't know any personn who ever try it too, but we have a limit to run 87 octan too :( I runned my last car (VW) with 87 octane and it was about 11.1:1 CR + Nitrous, ever had knock problems,

I heard some others peoples who runs n/a car with 11:1 CR on 87 octane without problems

Margin for mistakes is very small if you want to do Hi-Comp with turbo on 87 octane...
It requires a lot of tuning and thinking, but surrely nothing impossible.

Maybe turbo guys can help you more about that, but the theory about fuel ignition, temperature, CR, engine design & etc, would be works will all kind of engine !

D

·
0 Posts
7thGear said:
do u think it would be possible to design a D that has a 11.0 :1 CR that can run on 87 octane, and runs well to boot? Or is that a physical imposibility?
oh, its doable allright but it would be a track only engine. You would have to have huge quench zones in there with huge total areas and the emissions from this thing would be out of this world (think late 60's.) Certainly, NOx would be off the charts and CO would be so great as to make it uncomfortable, maybe even outright dangerous to stand behind this beast.
The pistons and the chambers would have to be nearly mirror polished and then dulled by oxydation or case hardening and the valve pockets would have to blend seamlesly with the chamber from about an inch back in the pocket. The pistons had best be forged and age hardened (or even better, tool steel) with a tool steel wrist pin. The block would have to be O ringed and the air comming into this beast had best be cold.
In a way, the high compression would almost be a necessity because that would probably be the only way for this engine to fully burn the mixture with the huge quench zones (chicken or egg problem)

You know, this is not an isolated issue, its more like a table that has the same value at different places for different combinations. Pressumably, one could look to do something like this with 91 octane and 13:1 and if the port flow did not become chocked....well, either way, you would see some serious shit :)

61 - 65 of 65 Posts