Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had my D16a6 cylinder head professionally ported/rebuilt but noticed that the rocker assembly looked like shit and the rocker followers had a bunch of buildup on them so I decided to disassemble and clean everything with some parts cleaner

So the parts came out looking great but unfortunately revealed a bigger problem when I looked at the exhaust rocker shaft:

I couldn't believe how worn the shaft was. Can't imagine how this would have affected revving to 8000+ RPM but I certainly didn't want to find out the hard way so I ordered up a new shaft and re-assembled everything:

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So fresh!

Got everything lubed up and reassembled, rockers have much less play in them now. Definitely gives me a little more piece of mind since I plan on reving to 8000 on a regular basis.

Just wanted to post this up as a reminder to check your rocker shafts when you're rebuilding your head!

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$45 is defiantly worth the price and piece of mind. curious, what did cleaning solvent did you use?
Berryman Chem-Dip Parts Cleaner from o'reilly auto parts. The stuff is amazing...leave the parts in there for an hour or so, shake, leave for another hour, shake, drain, rise with distilled water coat with some oil and you're done.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've never heard of that parts cleaner either, but after seeing how well it cleaned your stuff up, I'll have to give it a shot. Lots of dirty parts to clean...

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
$45 well worth it for the peace of mind! GJ on going the extra mile on cleaning up the upper valvetrain assembly. Me included, most don't go that indepth.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Berryman Chem-Dip Parts Cleaner from o'reilly auto parts. The stuff is amazing...leave the parts in there for an hour or so, shake, leave for another hour, shake, drain, rise with distilled water coat with some oil and you're done.

Always wondered if this stuff was worth a damn.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did the bores of the rockers look after they ate up the shaft like that?
Surprisingly enough, the clearance between the new rocker shaft and the rocker bores was (just barely) within service limits so I decided not to replace any rockers.

Looks good, I always wonderd if that stuff worked and now I do.. Did you just dip it into the can or did u actually poor it out... Im lazy I would of just dip it into the can and close it up when I was done but Im lazy hahaha
The can includes a strainer basket with a handle so you just dip the parts in and pull them out when you're ready. No need for any other containers, just make sure you buy some nitrile gloves and use it outside or in a well ventilated area because this shit will burn up your hands and knock you on your ass if you inhale the fumes for too long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts