Honda D Series Forum banner

Road atlanta Turbo d16

5K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  bwek 
#1 ·
Are Turbo Hondas allowed to race at Road Atlanta? I want to go track there but I dont know if they allow boosted cars to race. Anyone usually take their boosted single cams out?

#3 ·
Youre never going to be able to participate in any real sanctioned race.

You could however go play around on the track during a track day, assuming you can pass a basic tech inspection.

a few notes:
1) Running a turbo car on the track will put 2857349 times more stress on it than it has ever experienced on the street. If you dont have a well sorted cooling system and a good tune, there is no better way to blow your engine up very, VERY quickly.
The stuff you can get away with on the street is a virtual impossibility on the track.
2) Road Atlanta is not a n00b friendly track at all. Its not the same as it is in videogames. theer are several corners notorious for destroying cars. Ive raced on Road Atlanta and Ive seen it happen.

#32 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Like beav said, just imagine all of the stress you will be putting on different parts of the car for very extended periods of time. There are a ton of factors in road racing. Suspension and braking are two of the most important and you have cut springs and I'm guessing stock brakes? Tires are a factor also. It's not just about power. :p

#20 ·
Cut springs and stock brakes on a track equals all sorts of fail. You might not even pass inspection with cut springs.

I personally would NEVER drive a car with cut springs. I have seen the damage they cause when they fail.

#21 ·
get a real suspension, oil cooler, and a way to monitor your tempetures. possibly turn the boost down even further, and it should be alot of fun. im not aware of road atlanta rules but you should be ok without a harness as long as you have reclining seats and you don't have a roll bar. i have plans to build a road race, drag car using the same turbo. any pics of your car, and engine?

#23 ·
I would start out with Time trials. Sounds like your car has lots of power but your gonna need atleast better brake pads and real springs. Start with 8" springs on coilovers with 450/550lb f/r. You will change springs to something stiffer after you buy better shocks. Your gonna have to raise it up and get more camber but toe is going to be very important!! You should do a trackday with an instructor to get the hang of the basics. Don't ball up your car first time out.

#24 ·
Personally I woudn't even bother taking it to road atlanta without legit suspension mods and some chassis bracing due to you will be wasting your time and pissing ppl off..spend your money on a decent spring or coilover setup with spring rates for your specific chassis and minor bracing..then find you a nice deserted curvy road and practice and next thing be safe.

#34 ·
Personally I woudn't even bother taking it to road atlanta without legit suspension mods and some chassis bracing due to you will be wasting your time and pissing ppl off..spend your money on a decent spring or coilover setup with spring rates for your specific chassis and minor bracing..then go autox, do some hpde and practice and next thing be safe.
Fixed for you ;)

#30 ·
I haven't ACTUALLY been on track days in my civic because I want to make sure my car is ready for a track day and it's expensive to do it properly. Taking your bucket out with cut springs and junky brakes to a track where there are cars running around with you that are expensive as houses is just sketchy IMO.

#27 ·
wow, thats good, to know, that the brakes didn't have any issues i find that very suprising, even the rear drums? i'm looking to do a track day here soon, its just soo much damn money where i'm going they do put an instructor in the car with you the first time you go out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.