Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 75.5 z6 engine block, new pistons rings, with about 4 miles on it. Stock injectors.. everything stock on the fuel system except for the 255 fuel pump. New head as well this time check to make sure its not cracked. Good compression on all cylinders 170 across if I remember correctly(I was getting 125 with the 75mm). If the engine is started, it runs fine, no smoke, if you tap the gas, it smokes,,, and continues to smoke until you cant see anything anymore. I took it out and drove it and beat on it a bit, smoked stopped while I had it out. Next day turn it on, idle, tap gas, smoke.

I am thinking washed out rings, Do I have to pull the engine apart again or is there anything else I could do. When it begins to smoke, if I pull off the spark plugs and let it sit, it will start up again and not smoke unless I let it idle for a bit and then give it gas. this is my 3rd set of pistons, rings, second head and I am surprised my smoke issue hasn't gone away. Coolant levels have not moved at all, and oil is staying steady as well. Maybe I just have to take it out and drive it more to seat them, just wanna ask before I do

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
You need to check your fuel pressure if you think youre washing the rings. Some thinkthe 255 on a stock fuel system will raise the fuel pressure. idk if it has been proven or not. B&M has a cheap fuel pressure gauge kit, goes right on top of the stock fuel filter.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
You never said what color smoke. Have you tryed "reading" the plugs? Is there new valve seals in the head your using?

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If I pull the turbo and let the car run open header, it will smoke from all 4 cylinders, a lot of smoke. I doubt there is a coolant leak to all 4, and my coolant levels don't drop as well. I have a hard time reading plugs, but they come out with like black soot, I can clean them off and they they appear like there is too much heat.

When I had a cracked head, I smoked on cyl 4 and 3.

Coolant smoke, all I can tell you it white, I have have a hard time telling hue of certain colors, it sucks I know.

See for your self
Only vid I have, on this vid I didn't let it idle, I just pushed it to the driveway, turned it on and went for it.

·
Registered
'97 Del Sol
751 Posts
I can't see the vid from work. I prolly won't be the one to help you solve it either but did you check your pcv? Maybe for some reason you have blow by? A leak down test maybe you next step?

·
Registered
45 Posts
you said you only had 4 miles on the engine, what did you do to break-in the motor? did it smoke on the first start up? sounds like the rings just arent sealing

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The pcv system is stock, I will take a closer look at it.
I have actually never done a leak down test, also dont have the equipment to do so. I check harbor freight and see if they sell one.

I am expecting some smoke since the engine is new but DAMN. :(

Ive had so many smoke problems, I was so exited when I was driving it though since it wasnt smoking much but I have to stop at lights you know. I will check the pcv and put everything up to snuff and just drive it, Maybe a 100 mile highway run will help.

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty positive at this its the rings this time, it has cheap autozone oil in there, not synthetic, I drove it hard for the first 2 miles. It might take a bit longer for the rings to seal since very first start up with these rings was with synthetic, but the engine was pulled again to fixed a cracked head pretty much instantly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the synthetic probably wasnt great for it. if you go out on a highway run dont just cruise for 100 miles. rings need a mixture of load and vacum to properly sell..btw i cant look at the video so i dont really know how much smoke its macking

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,831 Posts
did you motor even heat up in 4 miles. man, you probable did even seat the rings yet.
also you say your plugs are all covered in black soot that means your runnning ritch and might be washing your hone out of your bore. what color os the smoke, black?

also you dont want synthetic oil while you heat cycle/ break in your NEW motor

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
the synthetic probably wasnt great for it. if you go out on a highway run dont just cruise for 100 miles. rings need a mixture of load and vacum to properly sell..btw i cant look at the video so i dont really know how much smoke its macking
The video is only for color, its actually not that bad on the video, normal for a new motor. Its when it idles for a bit that it get really bad

I had my reasons for the synthetic the first time, I also know about the mixture of driving conditions for break in but I have to stay away from traffic. Police hate hondas around here, especially modified.

Also, not sure why it would be rich, it has stock everything.. I will check to see if it has a vacuum leak somewhere

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did you motor even heat up in 4 miles. man, you probable did even seat the rings yet.
also you say your plugs are all covered in black soot that means your runnning ritch and might be washing your hone out of your bore. what color os the smoke, black?

also you dont want synthetic oil while you heat cycle/ break in your NEW motor
No black smoke, yup the engine heats up quickly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
can i ask the reason for the synthetic..it might still have been runing rich and there is a chance you wouldnt see any black smoke. if the fuel was washing out the cylinders it would be going by the rings into the crankcase not out the tailpipe. where is your fuel pressure gauge at, fuel filter or on the return side?

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Yes try the high way run with auto zone oil high and low vac. In for results.
I was thinking an injector might be sticking but you said if smoked from all four. Do you have any cel codes like two plugs switched on the intake purg solenoid into the idle valve or something?

·
Registered
Del sol
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can i ask the reason for the synthetic..it might still have been runing rich and there is a chance you wouldnt see any black smoke. if the fuel was washing out the cylinders it would be going by the rings into the crankcase not out the tailpipe. where is your fuel pressure gauge at, fuel filter or on the return side?
My fuel pressure gauge is right at the fuel filter. I have been told that too much fuel will smoke white just like coolant.

I have a huge grind on my crank, 30 thousand's with .007 bearings, My oil pressure is through the roof and I wanted to to keep it down slippery as possible. The very first time with startup on 75mm i used regular oil, when I pulled the engine apart for the 75.5mm, I noticed some marks on the journals.

I am aware that because the grind on the crank I probably wont be able to rev very high. I am fine with 6000rpm

·
Registered
45 Posts
the reason i asked about the gauge is cause if the regulator is being over ran by the 255lph it may be causing the injectors to by forced open, and you gauge would never read it cause its before the injectors. wich are bleeding off the pressure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts