Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres whats happening I ordered a superkit from FJT and its time to install my rings on the pistons. Well, got the oil ring on then tried sliding the second compression ring in the grove on the piston but it wont fit, its tooo BIG. so, i tried it on my other 3 pistons and no go either. Then i got the 1st compression ring and tried to see if it would fit. No go on all 4 either. From what FJT's site says, thats whats "Suppose" to go on my d16 pistons. Im using my stock p2e, Y7, pistons with a Hastings ring kit 2C-4640. Does any one know if this is the right kit to be using or was i sent the wrong one? Thanks and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
did you try to put the ring in the cylinder and check the gap? it would be pretty obvious I think if you put the ring in the cylinder and the ends overlapped that the ring was too big, thus the wrong size for your pistons/cylinder bore. That is, if your pistons are correctly sized to your cylinder bore....

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
I've heard of file to fit, but that might not be the problem in your case. LOL Are you sure you didnt order a ring set for 75.5mm pistons if you still have the stock 75mm's?

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called FJT just a few mins ago and we just figured something got misrelayed and he's fixing the problem by sending me new rings, 2c4690, free of charge, express mail. What a good man over there in San Juan, PR!

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
146 Posts
curious, when you say the rings are too big what do you mean?

Big as in they stick out further then the piston when its in the groove or big like the piston can go thru the whole ring like your and in a bracelet without ring expander?

I dont really know how much experiance you have in building motors *im just trying to finish my first* but if its like the hand in bracelet then yea..too big.

But if it sits in the groove yet looks to be too big cause they dont sit as close to the piston wall as the oil rings do then it may be normal since the rings need to be compressed when your installing them.

Like beater90 said though have you tried putting the ring in the cylinder and see what the gap is? If they overlap by alot then yea, their too big.

Im not good at describing what im trying to say so i hope it makes sense lol, it does in my mind.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
right on, glad to hear problem solved. By the way, I wasn't referring to filing them to fit, just to see if they were indeed the wrong rings...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts