Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my new mid sleeves, what should my ring end gap be? My pistons are 75.5 and I will be at least at 600hp some time after the build is complete; I will be at 400 until then. I'm not sure if power has to do with ring end gap or not. O, and I have Wiseco pistons.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
id say 18 for the top and 22 for 2nd.. wait..

will this be a DD seeing boost here and there or a full drag car?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
The piston and ring manufacturers should have recommendations. 600hp will certainly need more than std. The MID sleeves should not change the required gap.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Yes.

It does depend on power levels and on the position of the ring in the piston and on ring material.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the original rings were used. But, I am (obviously) getting new rings for the fresh rebuild. I'm going to call Wiseco in a few days when I can get ahold of my pistons. They are at the machine shop now.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
Good info as usual with endyne..

Im thinking those specs are for forged pistons.. for OEM pistons, i would gap tighter then that.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Unlike piston to bore clearance, the gap does not depend so much on the piston material. It depends on how high the ring is in the piston. The closer the ring to the top of the piston, the bigger the gap needs to be because the ring will be hotter.

If I had to make a guess, I would use Danz numbers.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
with that much heat, and since its a race motor, and boosted, id go with a bigger gap over a smaller gap

we gapped darins motor to .022/.024 NPR rings.
I totally understand this.. and i agree

Is this a race motor where high heat is involved all the time, or just a little boost here and there like a DD is what Id like to know. Cuz if its a freeway flyer most of the time, there wont be the heat & expansion like under WOT race conditions..

Im rebuilding my B20 very soon with Hastings and Id like to get all info i can get.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I totally understand this.. and i agree

Is this a race motor where high heat is involved all the time, or just a little boost here and there like a DD is what Id like to know. Cuz if its a freeway flyer most of the time, there wont be the heat & expansion like under WOT race conditions..

Im rebuilding my B20 very soon with Hastings and Id like to get all info i can get.
so heres a question for you.

would you rather have a gap thats slightly too loose, and results in nothing more than a .5% decrease in fuel efficiency and a slightly accelerated oil change schedule

or would you rather scuff your bores and ruin your seal completely when the rings swell up from the 30+lbs of boost you are going to need to run to make 500+whp?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts