Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people,

which ring clocking diagram should i follow, the old one or the one JE pro seal one?

also (heres the noob question) i have a set of SRP piston and ive lost the papper work for them, do they have a specific way they want to go in? like any marking ect?

and (noob question number 2) i have a set of eagle rods, is there any specific way they want to go in? like the logo facing the dizzy end or tranny end? or doesnt it matter.

many thanks.

luke.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on theoldone diagram, the scrapper gap and top ring gap are directly inline correct?

the other diagram is very simliar to the one that came with the rings i think.

luke.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
on the pistons, you want the bigger reliefs towards the intake valves,

on the rods, you want the bearing tang facing the exhaust side of the motor....

i always clock my rings in 25 degree increments

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
The tangs are normally on the same side for ease of maching the big end bore and cutting the tang notches in cap and rod in one go.

Ring gapsmove as the engine runs, so while I do clock them, I don't lose a lot of sleep over being meticulous about it. It is one of the least critical details in an engine build.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok cheers dude :)

so i went to install the rings today with no paper work, so im using the honda ring gap tolerances and specing them to maxium clearance.

the 2nd compression ring is a napier styled ring, do intsall it so the cut edge faces downwards?

luke.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Go to the ring manufacturers web site and try to download instructions.

Rings normally have a mark like a dot on the top side.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JE dont have the instructions for the rings on there site.

the picture i have of the 2nd ring shows the cut edge facing down.

luke.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
give yourself a decent gap. .020 top ring .022 2nd... because i assume you are going to make big power or else u wouldnt have used forged pistons
yea im shooting into the 500hp area, IIRC i gapped the top ring at .30mm and the 2nd ring at .40mm but i'll re do them next weekend.

which is a fair bit tighter than you recomend, cheers for the info.

still looking for the ring instructions with no luck though :(

im sure on the 2nd ring (napier) the cut edge faces down but i cant afford to get it wrong.

luke.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If CP dont have it on their web site, call them or if you know who makes their rings for them (it might be marked on them or the pack somewhere) visit that site. As you already stated, you do need to get this correct.

Danz is correct, high boost high power density, you need big gaps. Once again, CP should advise via instructions or phone if instructions missing.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20