Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to rewire the crap can rally car while it's getting it's off-season re-fit. The first iteration used no relays and used hefty gauge wire (12 and 14ga) for everything. This made for some really thick bundles. We're going to use more relays and much shorter wire runs.

The harness in question is the body harness. All we need to run are lights (head light, running lights, brake/hazard lights, turn signals). The original harness used what looks like 18ga wire for most of the lights. Is that what we should use for the power runs to and from the relays or is there a reason to up it to 16ga?

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Calculate the total draw on the wire, factor in at least 20% to account for loss over distance and bad maths and just reference a gauge/draw chart.
Thanks,
I can do all that. I was hoping to not have to do all that and just go with someones suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I’m pretty sure each of those circuits are 10A fused from the factory, so 18 AWG should be sufficient. If you wanted to simplify the wiring you could just feed a relay bank with 8-10 AWG and then branch off with 18 AWG to each accessory.

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m pretty sure each of those circuits are 10A fused from the factory, so 18 AWG should be sufficient. If you wanted to simplify the wiring you could just feed a relay bank with 8-10 AWG and then branch off with 18 AWG to each accessory.
Thanks. This is the info I was looking for. The plan is to do just that. Feed a fused relay panel and then feed circuits as needed.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Id suggest a 8awg run to a distribution block under the dash, and simply run everything from there. Fuse the 8awg. It will easily handle 100amps of current in spikes, and have no problem running 50+amps all day every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts