Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.korbachperformance.com

There is a lot of debates about this product over on honda-tech. I signed up to be a beta tester late last year before the eg frame lock was out. Originally I was supposed to go down to korbach and have them install them onto my car and use my car for the install manual. Being 4 hours away though, I could not make the time to get down there. So I got a set of betas mailed to me.

I was very surprised at the difference between the 96+ civic frame locks and the 92-95 frame locks. They are made out of 1 piece and it looks great. Total install time was about 1 hour 15 minutes. I took my time and cleaned a lot of little things as I was going. I did have a problem with the last 3/8 hole I was drilling, the bit did not want to bite. I tried another 3/8ths and it would not bite either. Turns out I messed my Makita drill up a little, so an error on my part. I reassembled everything after installing these and I ran into a problem fitting my bumper back on. You see I have the oem style foglights on my car and the brackets on the foglights hit the bottom of the framelock making it so you can not fit the bumper back on. I had to cut the back of the brackets on my foglights and actually file down part of the light housing itself to get my bumper to fit back on correctly. This really was not a big deal to me, it just took some extra time. SO if you have oem style foglights, be aware of this.

Driving Impressions:

I installed these Tuesday the 10th of May. I took the car out for the initial test drive. Even driving down my 3/4 of a mile dirt driveway I noticed a difference in the feeling when going over small bumps. The front end felt more solid. Now I took it for a test drive on some roads I am very familiar with. You can definately tell that these have increased the stiffness of the car. The steering responce feels like it has increased also, it is like I can feel more of what the car is doing through the steering wheel if that makes sense.

May 14th I had my first auto x of the season. I am part of a small car club that has been together since the early 1960s. We put in an event each month. It is not a true scca event, but we abide by the rules. I figured this would be as good of a place as any to really push my car to see if I can notice a difference. All I have to say is WOW. these things are awesome. I could definately feel that these have increased the stiffness of the front end of my car. It feels similar to when I installed a gsr sway bar on my cx hatch. These definately work. What I would have liked to have done if I had all day is remove my bumper to be able to loosen some bolts to do back to back runs with these. What would have been better is to be able to have someone else loosen them and have me do "blind runs" not knowing if they are loose or tight so I could see if I could tell a difference.

Overall impression:

I am very impressed with the quality of the parts, they are top notch. The laser cutting of the parts is great. The powdercoating was nice. The best touch though is how easy Korbach has made installation. The guide holes make it so simple to install these. I would actually like to have seen how quick I could get these installed if I didnt take my time. Honestly, these are so easy to install. I like the fact that the bits were included with the framelocks, it makes it simple. What I would like to see and it seems to be the general agreement is I would like to see the price come down on these a little. If you could market these below the $150 mark, I think that would be great. Maybe change the production process a little bit? Just my opinion though. Most people do not have the foglights and will not run into the problem I had, so that is not something to really worry about. It is not something a die grinder and a file didnt take care of. My contact was Jake and I must say that he is a great guy. If their customer service is as awesome as the service I got from Jake, this company will go far. These guys are awesome.

Here is the breakdown of how to install these:

Remove front bumper
Un-bolt washer bottle from chassis
Remove washer bottle (dont have to, but I did)
Line up the frame lock w/ chassis & bumper
Bolt it to the bumper through pre existing hole
Drill pilot holes (5) through built in template tabs
Remove frame lock
Bore out pilot holes w/ larger drill bits 3/8ths and 5/8ths
Break template pieces off the frame locks
Bolt frame locks on to the chassis
Re-install washer bottle
Re-install bumper

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
I had read about the original ones for the EK's and now that they're out for the EJ1 I might have to consider them....how much are they?

Yeah, yeah....I know I could just look them up....but I'm lazy....lol.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
93reddelsol said:
look great i wanna do this to my car

I would highly recommend these things. I am very impressed with what they did to my car. Definately worth the cost. I could go on for days about these things, but I will just say buy them, you will like them.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jimmy was asking about these this morning. I thought I would bump this with an update after having these on my car close to a year. they definately make a huge improvement on my car. i had some other people recently ask about these as well. i highly reccomend them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i was looking into buying a pair for my EJ8...but never got around to it (also never heard of them before so i was a bit skeptical) but its good to see that you liked them (i'll have to look into it again).

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Sweet! $99 aint too bad.. I wonder if this will make a differnce for me for drag racing, when I already have LCON traction bar..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts