Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I've recently gotten some Koni STR.T Orange shocks installed on my 2000 Civic EX coupe. I reused the OEM springs, so I thought it would make for a very scientific and unbiased review since the only variable being changed is the shocks.

I got my shocks changed at around 147,400 miles. I was on the OEM shocks and they were so bouncy and worn out. I ordered the Konis through 9K Racing (awesome people, I definitely recommend them) during their Labor Day sale. Got all 4 for $280. I got them home and took them out of the box to make sure they were alright. The boxes had some holes and crumpled corners. I took each one out and they were great! First impressions: they look well built, very clean and OEM. I got 4 stickers out of it too... XD

So the next day I went back to 9K for the install. 2 hours for it since they ran into a couple snags (one shock was bent and the bolt was rusted and stripped; they also needed to borrow a spring compressor for the front since they do a lot of Nissan/Toyota and not Honda). I got the car back and IMMEDIATELY I felt a difference. What a difference! As I was driving out of the parking lot, I had to hit speed bumps. I braced myself, hit the speed bump..... and it was fine! Way more comfortable that what I was expecting! But I still felt every little pebble and bump on the road. It's not in an annoying, uncomfortable way, but in an informative way. Lots of feedback from the steering and shocks.

So it's been about 2 weeks since I had them, and I really love them! I think they've settled a little bit... or I'm getting used to them. There is still some body roll, but it's very controlled. Cornering speeds have increased, but not at the expense of control. The car feels so composed and it really makes the best use of the tires. The most important thing is that they don't make me feel nervous at all.

I have noticed though that the front seems to be a little higher than the rear, by like a 2 finger width in the wheel well. I know the fronts need to be stiffer for the engine weight, but maybe they need to be broken in more? It's only been 2 weeks, so we'll see what happens.

My verdict: THUMBS UP! If your car is feeling boaty and the nose dives A LOT under braking, then you should definitely look at these. They're a great cheap replacement, and they're designed to work with OEM springs as well as lowered springs for a 2" drop MAXIMUM. They also come with a lifetime warranty. :) I'm only on OEM springs, so they're still comfortable, yet they can give you a little more control in the corners.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem man! Glad this review could be of some help to you. If you are going to track it though, get the Yellows since they're adjustable. The Oranges are like the Yellows on full soft.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yeah, Ive heard that the oranges are like yellows on full soft, but its not a track car. Ive taken it to the 1/4 mile like 3 times in 5 years and only auto-x'd once.

I was debating between blues/gr2s/and koni oranges. I think im goin with the orange.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds cool dude. Yeah, my car is no track car either. Obviously, every product has defects and sometimes there will be ones that fail. Koni is no exception, but I've also heard many, many great things about these shocks. So far, I have no complaints and they perform wonderfully. And if you want stiffer springs, you're good for a 1.5-2" drop MAXIMUM. Any more than that will most likely be too much for the shocks.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,288 Posts
I might add that the person whose idea those shocks were. is a customer of mine :)

Had my 5g Sedan not have been totaled I would have been testing them on the bumpy streets of Cincy.

I will ask Lee the next time I see him about the nose height increase.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! The nose height increase is a little odd...

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anything on that nose height increase?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you line the front shock forks up with the notch that is on the shock? The front shocks basically have to be aligned, they can't simply be put on. The shocks themselves should not affect ride height, esp OEM replacements. And they don't "settle" like springs might do since they do no hold the weight of the car up(the springs do).

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't do the install, I hade 9K Racing install them. Is there a way that I can check if the shock fork is aligned? If they aren't lined up right, do I have to take the spring off to line it up?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've attached a picture of the notch that needs to be lined up with the split in the shock fork. It is where the brake lines bolt onto the shock body. If that notch isn't set in line with the opening of the shock fork, it'll essentially be sitting on top of the shock fork which will raise the ride height slightly. Not sure if this is really what is going on with your car, but it is very possible.

To check, just jack the car up and look to see if that notch is sitting inside the opening for the shock forl. Depending on where that notch is, you may or may not need to compress the spring to turn the shock and line it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm..... I'll definitely be looking for that tomorrow. Actually, I have been hearing a strange kind of thumping noise sometimes from the left front shock when I'm going over speed bumps. Maybe that's the cause?? I'll check it out for sure.

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Hmm..... I'll definitely be looking for that tomorrow. Actually, I have been hearing a strange kind of thumping noise sometimes from the left front shock when I'm going over speed bumps. Maybe that's the cause?? I'll check it out for sure.
That could be a ball joint...

Are the Koni STR.T shocks gas charged? If they are that may account for the slight raise in ride height because I'm pretty sure stock shocks are oil only. That and blown shocks will lower your ride height slightly, they may not hold the car up but they do have an affect on ride height.

·
Registered
same as above
861 Posts
would these take the regular ground control sleeves or the ones that are specific to the koni yellow?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the Koni Oranges are oil shocks because I've heard that they leak oil when they blow. I'm not too sure about the sleeves, but I'm sure there is some info out there. If you're looking at new springs, then you should probably be looking at Koni Yellow shocks.

BTW, I looked at my front shocks today and I saw this:

Something tells me that little gap isn't supposed to be there. This is only the driver's front shock, but the passenger front shock looks the same. I assume this is supposed to be flush against the shock fork?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what I was taking about. You'll need to turn the shock around. The fork has a gap in it where that piece is supposed to line up with. So that gap will go away and the car will lower a tiny bit. May not solve the problem entirely but it'll help.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Just goes to show you that just because you take your car to a "shop" to have things installed doesnt mean they do it right. Thats horse shit right there and outright incorrect installation.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I can just like unbolt it from the bottom and the top in the engine bay and rotate them 180 degrees right? Or do I have to compress the springs and all that...?

Well, 9K doesn't exactly do a lot of Hondas. I mean, they do a lot of Toyotas and Nissans, and maybe the occasional S2000 or NSX. But very rarely do they get a Civic. I might have made the same mistake myself.

If I need to compress the springs, I'll take it back to them and have them fix it. I'm sure they'll be cool about it and do it for me. If I don't need to compress the springs, then I'll just do it.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool. I just finished turning them around so they're on there correctly. But the front still sits a little higher than the rears.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts