Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i really need your help, I bought the ARP headstud set for D16A/Z with Y8 head for my d16zc with Y8 head.

Long story short I was waiting 3 weeks for the set to be delivered and today my tuner told me that only one headstud is the correct length and that is the shortest one in the pack.

I am in a bit of a dilemma here because the car has to be my daily driver as my run around car shit itself on me and im back to college in a few days and the dyno is booked for thursday:icon_frown:

My question is can i reuse the OEM headstuds that we holding the zc head down?? the car is only going to be putting out 220-230 flywheel horsepower up from the 204 its currently at!! will that type of power stretch the studs??

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they were low mileage it's a maybe, I wouldn't reuse high mileage head bolts. Oem are head bolts not head studs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've seen OEM bolts be used again and again, even on high mileage engines, without issues. My friend torqued his head bolts down again for the third time on his 93 accord with 220K+ miles and it's still running around without any trouble.

If you're only going to be making that kind of power, I'd personally check the block and head for warpage. If everything is in spec, throw it together and use the bolts again. :TU:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys,

engine has 80000 miles and y8 head was just milled.

At least i know now that with that power goal i should be safe in not stretching my bolts.

Its only a little 15g. the reason i am contemplating using the old ones is that it takes honda even a minimum of 1 week to deliver OEM stuff

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Anytime I've ever seen anyone use OEM head bolts more than once they have head gasket problems.

Sent from my HTC One XL
I have a re-used head gasket and head bolts that have been retorqued more then 4 times. Daily drive the car for the past 4 years, no leaks...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a boosted engine no I would not run used head bolts. Get ARP studs.
i cannot wait 3 weeks for the ARP, i got

ARP CUSTOM HEAD STUD KIT D16A/Z WITH Y8 HEAD

i was pretty sure this was the kit that was suited to my car and did a lot of research beforehand

as stated she was d16zc non vtec now she d16zc bottem end with d16y8 head, that kit should be the correct one??

·
Registered
250 Posts
i cannot wait 3 weeks for the ARP, i got

ARP CUSTOM HEAD STUD KIT D16A/Z WITH Y8 HEAD

i was pretty sure this was the kit that was suited to my car and did a lot of research beforehand

as stated she was d16zc non vtec now she d16zc bottem end with d16y8 head, that kit should be the correct one??
Depends on which zc. If it's the obd2 zc (spark plugs in front) then I believe it's like the d16y7 motor and would just just y8 studs. But if i's the obd0 zc (spark plugs in back) then it's like the a6,b7 and needs the kit you ordered.

Sent from my HTC One XL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts