Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Honda Del Sol
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just replaced a blown head gasket on my car and had the head shaved 70 thousandths to boost compression ratio because I have standard length rods with vitaras and I need some help retuning my timing. Before the headgaset blew I was at peak timing of 16 degrees at 22PSI with 7.5/1 CR and now my CR is about an 8.5/1 and my car is very doggy, I originally couldn't get my base timing set right because my distributor was maxed out at about 10* so I turned my cam 1 tooth counter clockwise to get base timing back to 16. Now I need some opinions on where to go next and what my peak timing should be

·
Registered
1993 Honda Del Sol
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to end up getting an adjustable cam gear so I can set timing correctly and have my mechanical timing where it's supposed to be but should I just set timing in on data to 10* with my mechanical timing correct and just let the ecu adjust from there?

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
16 degrees at 22psi is alot, i was at 8* at 20psi with the fjt extended rods and ycp vitaras 9:1 comp.

what do you mean by let the ecu adjust from there? are you running an fmu and apexi?

·
Registered
1993 Honda Del Sol
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
16 degrees at 22psi is alot, i was at 8* at 20psi with the fjt extended rods and ycp vitaras 9:1 comp.

what do you mean by let the ecu adjust from there? are you running an fmu and apexi?
I have s300, what I meant by letting the computer compinsate from there was from base timing, I turned my cam back to factory timing marks and my distributor maxes out at 8* and won't allow me to go to 16 so i'm picking up a skunk 2 gear tomorrow. I set my base timing in the computer at 8* to correspond with how my distributor is maxed out and with electronic advance my cars idling at 18* but my ecu is showing 23* so it's out of sync by 5* now at 22PSI my timing is up at either 15-16 (I'll double check in the morning) so actual motor timing would be roughly 10-11 I believe? So is my timing being at that going to be safer for the car or worse? I had thought I did a conservative tune but it's been over two years and 30K miles since I tuned it and i'm a little bit rusty. Thanks for the response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts