Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all
my engine was taken apart to do some servicing (changin head gasket etc) and while being reassembled the mechanic found that one of the head stud treadings (on the block side) was stripped.(after i spent all the money on service parts and cam etc!!!)

is it safe to get that hole repaired/retapped or whatever? or do i NEED to get a new block case?

the mechanic advised against retapping it since its an aluminum block, but i just wanted experienced guys who always do weird stuff to talk abt this one thing!

EDITED for missing info!

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts
hi all
my engine was taken apart to do some servicing (changin head gasket etc) and while being reassembled (after i spent all the money on service parts and cam etc!!!)
There is information missing right here.

is it safe to get that hole repaired/retapped or whatever? or do i NEED to get a new block case?

the mechanic advised against retapping it since its an aluminum block, but i just wanted experienced guys who always do weird stuff to talk abt this one thing!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crap, sorry.
one of the threaded holes for the head stud on the block is stripped and the engine wont reassemble. my question is can i have the hole re-threaded (might need to be widened.... or can they weld the hole shut and then completely tap over a new threaded hole? or do i have no choice but to buy a new crank case?

[[ info added to original post ]]

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
use an insert. not a helicoil, the other version of a thread repair insert. i have on in the bottom end of my block. holds up perfect, and holds tq just like the others.

if i can remember i'll look up the name of the insert when i get home. if no one else gets it first.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
2,469 Posts
use an insert. not a helicoil, the other version of a thread repair insert. i have on in the bottom end of my block. holds up perfect, and holds tq just like the others.

if i can remember i'll look up the name of the insert when i get home. if no one else gets it first.
what's wrong with helicoil? those things are buff!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright.. well i did some research on helicoil and time-sert as well... from what i see, (given the reviews off h-t) half say helicoil is superior half say time-sert is superior. i do say tho that the helicoil looks a lot stronger than the time sert- hell they even have a special kit for when your helicoil fucks up- use this kit to fix it!

however! that is a LOT of money to spend to rethread... i am looking now to see if i can get the inserts alone to buy online for my d16 and i can have the machine shop tap the block for the insert, screw in the insert and hope all remains calm!

stilll looking for info so if anyone has anything i will appreciate!

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok, now tell me this.

can i just buy a time sert insert and have the machine shop redrill the block and screw in and lock the time sert? or do i need to buy the whole kit? can i buy the inserts loose or do i have to buy a kit just to get the insert?

anybody wanna sell me 2 D16 inserts :(
Sorry for the very late reply. But just in case it happens again to someone, this is the best deal - a strong insert or sleeve from a 14mm bolt with 10 mmX1.25 mm inside thread.

I'm using them.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Its called a Helicoil.... People do it all the time with aluminum heads and blocks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've managed to source a kit from over here in the UK. Can i just confirm with someone that i need M10x1.25 inside thread for a head stud? Going to go with arp's as well, should this make any difference?
If your engine is D16, block threads should be 10 X 1.25 mm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts