Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was leaving my driveway the other day and my car just died (91 d-15b2).When i tried to restart it would give me a half ass idle no more than 500 RPM for a few seconds give me a back fire and shut off almost like the timing was retarted,but i was only goin maybe 3 MPH when it took a shit.any ideas ?

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
No. easyest way to check for spark, is to take out a spark plug, and put it in the Sparkplug wire. Put the bottom of the plug to a good Ground on your engine. Have a friend try to turn the car over. Spark? good, you have 3 others to try, No spark? check: ignitor unit, coil, and rotor. if anything, It may be your wires. I even had a plug go out on me

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know i got spark it will still start cant get any revs back fires and dies my timing belt is fairly recent,could it have jumped time going that slow?

·
Registered
91 hatch
1,249 Posts
how about your 02 sensor i guy i know ran his civic with out an 02 sensor it idled funny an eventually sputtered out until it would fire then stall out ,and also backfire. replaced 02 sensor ran good as new.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked my dizzy and the set screw that holds it on had fallen out i put it back together and the dizzy was loose is that right?if not why is it like that?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ahh no! You need to go through all of the timing aspects.. TDC the motor, make sure the cam lines up and then make sure the rotor pick up points towards somewhere between 7-8 o'clock!

·
Registered
639 Posts
There will be a little bit of play there and a little bit on play between the dizzy output and cam input. So it might fell like more than you figured should be there

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh no! You need to go through all of the timing aspects.. TDC the motor, make sure the cam lines up and then make sure the rotor pick up points towards somewhere between 7-8 o'clock!
just the rotor fell off, why would i have to retime the car.the rotor can only go back on one way. the cam position hasnt changed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am not saying to retime.. Just check everything over.. It doesn't hurt. it will take you 10 minutes! you might learn something in the process

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not saying to retime.. Just check everything over.. It doesn't hurt. it will take you 10 minutes! you might learn something in the process
gotcha.there is over 1/4 inch of play from the dizzy to the cam, going to napa right now to get a new one i will install it give the tming a once over thanks for your advise i will rep,be back online in 30 to tell you how it goes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay here it is i replaced the dizzy and cap,wires went to start it up sounded fine tried to fire then it died.When i cranked it again it sounded like the cam wasnt turning cranked really fast and sounded funny (higer pitched)so i tore in to the timing belt it was pretty loose 3/4 inch of play but still intact.What the fuck!?!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts