Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of putting an exhaust system on my turbo d16z6 and i was wondering what would be better a resonator or test pipe? what size pipings? and what type of muffler would be best for my setup? im running 7 pounds stock motor and a 2.5in downpipe. I would run open run open downpipe but i heard cmoke comes in the car, i really dont car about how loud it is.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
for as mild as your setup is a cheap ebay catback would work and sound fine.

testpipe goes between downpipe and catback, resonator goes in the middle of the B pipe, not sure what you mean by which one. if its a "bolt on" cat back it will likely have both, and if its custom there is no need for a test pipe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was wondering what to weld to my downpipe other than a cat converter then run custom piping from there to my muffler. thats why i wanted to know what would work better a resonator or testpipe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A Test pipe is pretty much a hollow catalytic converter.
I would just keep the cat, as long as its 2.5in exhaust tubing from downpipe down to muffler.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have a cat....what would run me cheaper cat or test pipe? and i really dont care about the emissions and stuff like that lol

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Incorporate a resonator into your exhaust system unless you want it to sound like absolute shit. I have a JRSC CRX with a endyn modified kamikaze header with 2.5" collector and a custom 2.5" exhaust. The exhaust includes both a moroso inline spiral flow muffler and a traditional magnaflow muffler...quite frankly, it doesn't sound very good. Very loud and somewhat ricey. The previous owner wanted a track car and didn't care about sound, only wanted performance and opted for the cheaper option. I plan on using the moroso spiral flow muffler, a resonator, and a different muffler when i redo the exhaust

OEM and aftermarket exhausts incorporate resonators for a reason.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Incorporate a resonator into your exhaust system unless you want it to sound like absolute shit. I have a JRSC CRX with a endyn modified kamikaze header with 2.5" collector and a custom 2.5" exhaust. The exhaust includes both a moroso inline spiral flow muffler and a traditional magnaflow muffler...quite frankly, it doesn't sound very good. Very loud and somewhat ricey. The previous owner wanted a track car and didn't care about sound, only wanted performance and opted for the cheaper option. I plan on using the moroso spiral flow muffler, a resonator, and a different muffler when i redo the exhaust

OEM and aftermarket exhausts incorporate resonators for a reason.
get rid of the spiral JUNK from Moroso. The outer spiral section, the spot welds breakaway and make all kinds of noise.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
^ Don't waste your money, get a test pipe with some baffling (idk what its called, its the same thing as a resonator just the wire screens)
88-00 ALL HONDA CIVIC CRX STAINLESS CATALYTIC TEST PIPE - eBay (item 110662939290 end time Mar-24-11 14:14:40 PDT)
Had one of these on my civic, they're golden!
that "test pipe" is a waste if you want baffling.atleast the resonator is purforated and cuts down on the noise and raspiness. i have one on my car. works awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts