Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a small edelbrock turbo kit w/ 7-9 psi on stock internals and just using the car as a dailydriver/weekend dragger how long would it be before id have to replace all the internals,(ie. pistons, rings, rods) etc.. anyone know what turbo kit would i be able to run with my stock internals i got a d16y8 swapped into '94 HB Thanks!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Y8 is a stout engine that will yeild some impressive gains. as for which kit, what are you limits? I would say even up to 10-12 lbs with PROPER tuning, you won't have a problem. get a freind with a WB O2, or go in for some dyno time. If you're looking to save a buck yet still have great gains, drop me a PM. i have a kit for sale.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyting they said was correct but let me elaborate on it a little.

Edelbrock makes a very good turbokit for the person that wants to keep there internals stock. It has a small turbo that spools fast, and it makes good power.

Now, according to your engines condition you should be fine with up to 12psi on stock internals. If you engine has alot of miles (100,000+) i would recomend changing the water pump, timing belt, plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, adjust the valves, ect.. Make sure the motor is in good working condition before you go and almost double its HP.

The most important thing when turboing you engine is tuning. The Edelbrock kit does come with a fuel mangement computer, if you plan on more then 8psi, i would recommend changing it. Because of its low cost (for a good ems system) and great functionability, i would recomend a Hondata. Go to their website and do some research. http://www.hondata.com
From what i understand you will have to convert your car to obd 1 to use it.
The Hondata should be tuned by a professional that has experience tuning turbo hondas.

If you have proper tuning and you maintain your engine properly, you should have no problems running up to 12psi daily. I would recomend about 10psi, because it is already a large jump in hp over stock. IMO 12psi on that turbo is the limit for a stock y8 .

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO, from my experience on a d16 for boost more then 10 psi, you should never use what i call a "band aid." The fuel computer that the edelbrock uses works like an v-afc/e-manage. I would never use a hack to control a high boosted motor. I can go into the many reasons why, but there probably are a few posts on here that have already done that.

When boosting a motor the most important thing for durability/relability is the computer/tuning. You want a computer that will CONTROL fuel and ignition, not just trick the stock computer into controling it in a half assed way.

This is just my oppinion though!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rex YOU tuned the kit's controller? or the shop tuned it for you?

you could even go to 10 lbs fo boost safely and be ok and make about 200-220 wheel power.

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
I tuned the KIT.... ON THE DYNO MACHINE! YES I DID IT, with a little HELP FROM BOB IDA!!!!!!!!!

You see you put your car on this dyno machine. Then you hook up these sensors all over the car, to include a wide band O2. Then you drive the car on these wheeler things to 4th gear. Then you jam the gas when BOB says to. Then you look at the computer and see what improvements you can make, i.e.: sporadic spark, to much fuel, not enough fuel, timing... Then you make the adjustments and make another run.

When you are done, you tuned your car. NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you go to my web site you will see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts