Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I dis-assemble my engine block and want to replace my rod and main bearings. The problem is that I forgot to mark my rods which cylinder they belong to and two main bearings came off that i dont know where they belong. I want to measure using plastigage to determine the clearance and use those markings from the block and rods to whcih color coded bearings i need.

Here is my question:

Can I still measure the clearnces of the rods?? Rods are out of order

Should I buy ACL bearings set from ebay?? Check out this site--http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-CIVIC-ACURA-INTEGRA-ROD-MAIN-BEARINGS-D16Y-D16Z6_W0QQitemZ170108869427QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33619QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Package include Main, Rod bearings and Thrust washer.
Is this ACL package definitely will work??

Please, any knowledge about this, let me know.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

John

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
id go to honda and buy oem. cant go wrong with oem.
ive helped put v-8's together where things got out of order and things came out fine but then again harmonics on a V-8 is different. sorry i don't have more info.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Either go with the "one-size fits all" ACLs, Kings, etc etc... or use the numbers on the side of the block and order the corresponding OEMs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
doesn't matter where the rods go. You have the numbers and letters, just the get the bearings

just pick a rod and say its number 1 and get the bearing that matches, grab another one and make it number 2. You cant go wrong.

Use the plastigauge to double check everything. I dont know where everyone gets the idea you use the stuff to measure clearance. Not very exact if you ask me.

Oh and dont size bearing off a chart taken from honda-tech. Thats not the best method.

A, most people cant use measuring tools correctly, especialy to measure inside diameters

B torquing the crank improperly changes the shape of the mains, also torquing the head to the block further pulls and twists the block, therefore changing the mains since we use such long headbolts. clean threads, clean bolts, the type and amoutn of lube you use on the bolts all effect how much tension the bolt sees.

Use oem bearings, use the color chart to get the correct ones. use plastigauge to comfirm the your clearence is "within" spec. If not adjust accordingly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts