Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i replaced my wheel bearing on my driver side because had play in it, got the old one out an it was done for. pressed new one in an for some reason im still getting alot of play(wiggle) from it. what could be causing this??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasnt really bad, im wondering if i may not have set the hub all the way in? Because it moves the whole rotor an axle, ball joint an tie rods are good

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the hub wasn't pressed all the way in you could use the axle nut to pull it the rest of the way in, just make sure to torque it to spec after.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
You wouldn't be able to put the lock ring in if you didn't have the bearing pressed in all the way. The play is from somewhere else in the system

·
Registered
11 Posts
You wouldn't be able to put the lock ring in if you didn't have the bearing pressed in all the way. The play is from somewhere else in the system
x2 , from the beginning of the thread when you said you had wiggle so you replaced bearings i was thinking .. that's not it .. hehe

I replaced our wheel bearings after searching relentlessly for this phantom sound that kinda sounded like brakes grinding but deeper in tone.
sort of a growling.

So yeah , bearing growl , they don't wiggle ;)

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
how are you checking for wheel bearing play?

go up and down, grabbing tires at edsges. the only play that should show itself is balljoints or bearing.

stick a prybar on the top of the knuckle and test upper ball joint.

a brand new wheel bearing pops out looking like shit, so cannot consider that a proper description.

make sure the snap ring for the bearing is properly inserted, torque the axle nut to 160, give the snout of the axle a love tap, back off the nut, and retorque to proper spec, 134 or 140, I think you said.

if the bearing itself still has play, you got the wrong bearing. wheel bearings for the 1.5L cars are smaller outside than the 1.6L cars for the 4th gen civics

1 - 16 of 16 Posts