Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am rebuilding my engine for 300-400whp. I have read a lot of building threads but never seen anyone replace the main bearings bolts, I have torqued them about 4 times because checking the clearance to 52 Nm. The Honda workshop manual does not say that you need replace them.
If i should replace them go with oem or after markets?

/ V

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Well, assuming this is a D16, ARP doesn't make main bolts. You will have to get OEM, which are 86$ for all ten with my Honda Employee discount. I bought them for extra insurance because the block I had was pretty tired.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I've never heard of them giving out, but given your power goals, I'd recommend replacing them with OEM bolts for insurance...wouldn't want to tear up a crank (or worse). They've got to stretch and fatigue like every other bolt, right? Feel free to set me straight if you know different. IMHO, FWIW...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I would run them unless I had reason to believe they had been over tightened or tightened down on an uneven surface or been in an engine where a cap let go.

Remember Ds have a girdle that helps spread the load on the bolts a bit.

I never heard of a D breaking a main bolt.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
I re-used the ones in my Z6 motor over an over again. Made 400+whp on it...so I'm sure you'll be fine with the "old" stock ones.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Batch to batch variation will be to great to get any usefull info on stretch of old bolts where you have no record of original length.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I've seen somewhere, people use modded b-series ARP Main's..
yes you can use a set of bseries arp's. you will have to cut 3 of them for clearance issues.
i just for a block that has them. i do not know what be series ones they are tho. if you have to cut them i dont think it matters.
but if you get arp's you will have to line bore the block.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I am rebuilding my engine for 300-400whp. I have read a lot of building threads but never seen anyone replace the main bearings bolts, I have torqued them about 4 times because checking the clearance to 52 Nm. The Honda workshop manual does not say that you need replace them.
If i should replace them go with oem or after markets?

/ V
can u use b18b main stud bolt ?

arp do make main bolt stud for b18b,b20b....

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I've torqued my set of OEM bolts 10+ times, never a problem.
Same here, what I always do is clean the treads and go over with the right tap just to make sure they are fine and clean, never had any problem.

Like Sentry said, they are big bolts that only get torque to 35 lbs. I will use that money to get ARP head stud instead.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
If you dont measure them before you install them, and measure them every time you torque them, then you are just playing russian routlette.

ive had and seen ARP head studs pull apart on a regular basis, with the ARP recommended tq spec.

Fasteners fail. Its a fact. They will NOT last for ever and just because someone gets away with something thats not correct doesnt mean its a good way to do things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts