Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i was wondering if you could offer some advice to me

Ive got an ebay 4-2-1 header to CAT pipe on at the moment and I keep having problems with the gasket from the header part of the pipe going to the downpipe. (the 2 port gasket)

basically it seems whatever I do to fill the gap between the 2 flanges, it will be leaking exhaust again within a week or two. Ive tried:

multi layered gasket that came in the box

high temp fire putty between the 2 flanges

after the fire putty failed i cleaned up both surfaces with sand pipe and wire wool until they were smooth then used a single layer card gasket.

This failed so i tried another type of gasket material, this time a 3 layer metal gasket with a heat resistant layer in the middle. Now this is leaking from one side.

I'm sure ive torqued the bolts tight enough and i do not want to shear anything off. Is it possible that the 2 faces are not matched correctly??

I've not had any issues with the 4 port gasket on the head itself

So at the moment ive patched the leaking 3 layer gasket with some putty but that won't last.

How tight do i need to torque the bolts? I have a 2 foot breaker bar but i dont want to wreck the threads. Shall i persevere with making and replacing gaskets or get it welded up?

What about copper based gasket putty?

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
There is also this copper gasket spray. its supposed to coat the gasket with a thin copper layer to resist heat.

·
Registered
1991 Rover 216 GTI .
132 Posts
Are your engine mounts good ?.
I use Holts Firegum to seal that joint with no gasget,works fine for me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
honetly ive never had tha problem, mine is being held together with 2 bolts and no leaks. looks like youve exhausted your options, get them welded together and call it a day.

·
Registered
374 Posts
so i did a search and google says ... Quantum field theory, nah i dont think thats it, lol.
further down the list: Quoted For Truth (website; slang) bingo, sounds about right.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,976 Posts
qtf also = quit fucking talking

·
Registered
Civic Si hatch EH3 -
198 Posts
LOL.. i mean the first one.. quoted for truth...

you tried several times, now it's time to weld it and forget it

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if the gasket surfaces are not flat. you will continue to have problems.
Thanks for the replies guys. It's hard to tell just looking at the surfaces. Each time i've cleaned them up with wire wool / sand paper until clean. This time I've ordered some of that Permatex copper gasket maker stuff. Apparently the copper fills in any uneven surfaces and gaps...

So I'll cut out another gasket, spread this copper goop aroudn the edges to coat it and bolt it all together. If that fails then I'll find someone with a mig welder! Lame

1 - 15 of 15 Posts